IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the AGM & meeting held on Tuesday 22 May 2018 at 7.30p.m.
in the Blore Suite, Ipstones Memorial Hall.
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Heather James, Linda Malyon, Sandy Richards,
Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson & John Williams.
The Clerk, 1 x Reporter & 2 Members of the Public
APOLOGIES: Councillor Mycock
Councillor Malyon the retiring Chairman thanked the Clerk for work done during the last twelve months.
60/18. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE-CHAIRMAN: On proposal by Cllr Shuttleworth
and seconded by Cllr Williams it was agreed unanimously for Cllr Malyon to
continue as Chairman.
It was then proposed by Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Shuttleworth for
Cllr Stevenson to be the Vice Chairman. This was agreed unanimously.
DISPENSATIONS: None received.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: To be taken as they arise.
On proposal by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Richards it was moved that the minutes of the meeting held on 25th April 2018 has being a true record.
This was agreed unanimously.
61/18. MATTERS ARISING:
- Local Bus Services: Cllr Malyon reported that Leek Town Council and Cheadle Town Council are going to be having meetings with Aimee’s Bus Company. She also said that Aimee’s Message is ‘use it or lose it’.
- Sign for School Green: The Clerk said that she will forward a letter to the residents of the Old School House to ask for permission to place a sign on their rear garden wall.
- Grit Bins: it was agreed to chase this up with County Councillor Deaville as he said at the January meeting that he would try to get some Grit Bins.
- WWII Search Light: It has been established that the Search Light was situated along Belmont Rd, beyond Little Stones Farm in the fields on the right.
- Blocked Grids, Johnny’s Corner, Foxt: It was noted that these have not been jetted yet. Cllr Malyon said that she had reported 12 blocked grids a few days ago. It was also noted that the grid outside 7 Church Lane has still not been jetted and it is supposedly on a 6 – 8 week cleansing programme and also the kerbs at the top of PFP 102 have still not been done. It was agreed to chase this up.
- Water on the Road, Park Lane: It was noted that this has not been dealt with yet and agreed to chase it up.
- Pot Holes in Shay Lane, Ipstones and Belmont Road: it was agreed to forward a letter of thanks to the County Council for the good job repairing the pot holes.
- Sign at Winkhill Station (Casey Bank Side): The Clerk reported that there is a ‘Give way’ sign. it was agreed to ask for a ‘Stop Sign’.
62/18. PLANS: The following Planning Applications had been received: –
SMD/2018/0108 Change of Use to C2 (residential school) with the creation of two
additional bedrooms to the existing property at Ever Green House, Dog Lane,
Ipstones Edge: A reply had been received form the Senior Planning Enforcement
Officer regarding the parish council’s query about the incorrect boundary being
shown on the site plan of this application and was read out. Member still thought
that it is wrong for the plan to encompass someone else’s property even though the
e-mail stated that this does not affect the application. Following a discussion, it was
agreed unanimously to object to the application because if granted it would open it
up for further expansion and, also that there is another similar venture opening in
the same locality. To also note that the owners of the neighbouring property do
not want their property included on the plan.
SMD/2018/0264 & 0265 (LBC) Reconstruction of outbuilding and other internal
alterations at Belmont Farm, Ipstones. On proposal by Cllr Shuttleworth and
seconded by Cllr James it was agreed unanimously to support approval of this
SMD/2018/0287 Living accommodation, within empty space above barn with
internal staircase from ground floor at Black Bank Farm, Shay Lane, Foxt. It was
agreed unanimously to support approval of this application.
- Mr Knight: A letter of thanks had been received for the donation in respect of being chosen to represent Staffordshire in the World Scout Jamboree in 2019.
- SPCA re Training Session on ‘Chairmanship Skills’: Details of this were noted.
- Karen Bradley MP re ‘Moorlands Seniors Tea Dance’: Details of this were noted and a copy of the letter is to be displayed on the NB.
- Tiny Tots: a letter seeking a grant toward the cost of erecting a new fence had been received. It was agreed to place this on the next agenda.
- Insurance Policy: An alternative quote had been received from Came & Co for a Policy with AXA. Unfortunately, the existing Insurers did not match the quote for a one-year premium only for a three-year contract. It was agreed unanimously to opt for the one-year Contract with Came & Co (AXA) for an annual premium of £801.61 inc IPT.
- Air Ambulance: It was noted that they are collecting used postage stamps to raise money for the Air Ambulance Service. Details are to be placed on the Notice Board.
- Staffordshire Crime Commissioner re Taking over the Governance arrangements of Staffordshire’s Fire and Rescue Service: This update was read out and it was noted that the current Fire & Rescue Authority, which is made up of 21 councillors from S-o-T City Council and Staffordshire County Council will cease to exist. It was agreed that this does not seem very democratic and concerns were raised that Ipstones Fire Engine is not used as often as it could be. It was therefore, agreed to invite Matthew Ellis to a meeting to discuss these concerns.
- Support Staffordshire – VCSE Local Forum for Staffordshire Moorlands is on Tuesday 19th June 5p.m. to 7p.m.
- Other Circulars, Newsletters etc
SPCA Weekly Bulletins
64/18. INDEPENDENT INTERNAL AUDITORS REPORT: This was read out and it was noted
that the following matters had been raised: –
- Audit checks carried out:
To complete the requirements of the Annual Audit Governance & Accountability Return
Conclusion: Accounting records appear to be properly maintained and in accordance with best practice. Internal controls appear to be effective.
- Audit Queries
Queries in relation to income/expenditure items and accounting records were:
Council employee responsible for the mowing contract and caretaking service: –
Self-assessment status for the mowing contract
PAYE for other work
Clerk explained that the difference in arrangements results from the mowing work being awarded under competitive quotation
Query – Council Income: –
Burial Rights (19 March). Query resolved with Clerk
- Audit Notes / Recommendations
GDPR regulations – the Council has registered interest in the SPCA agreement
with SCC for provision of Data Protection Services.
Risk assessment – it is recommended that the Council undertake a Risk
Assessment review in 2018/2019 as a matter of priority.
The above was noted and with respect of the Risk Assessment it was agreed to
put a note in to the External Auditor to say that work on this is currently in
It was agreed to approach a local person who has experience in Risk
Assessments to ask if he would be willing to prepare a Risk Assessment and if he
would give a quote.
65/18. SECTION 1 – ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT 2017/2018: All Members had
received a copy of this and each statement (1 – 9) was read out and the answer to
each statement was ‘yes’. This was then signed by the Chairman and Clerk.
66/18. TO AUTHORISE THE ANNUAL ACCOUNTS FOR THE YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2018: –
Members had each received a completed copy of the of page 5 of the Annual
Return – Section 2 – Accounting Statements for 2017/2018; Bank Reconciliation;
Explanation of significant variations; a summary of ‘Receipts & Payments’ Totals;
The full copy of the ‘Receipts and Payments’ was available for inspection.
It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr James to authorise the
Annual Accounts for the year ended 31/03/2018 as being a true record. This was
agreed unanimously. Page 5 of the Annual Return – ‘Section 2 – Accounting
Statements for the 2017/2018 was signed by the Chairman and Clerk.
67/18. GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION: The Clerk reported that SPCA Bulletin
of 30th April stated that the Government has tabled an amendment to its own Data
Protection Bill to exempt all parish and town councils and parish meetings in
England from the requirement to appoint a Data Protection Officer (DPO) under the
general Data protection Regulation. All other measures will apply but appointing a
DPO will be discretionary and may be regarded as good practice. The SPCA are
currently in discussions with SCC to remodel the offer regarding a Data Protection
Service for Parish & Town Councils who may still wish to enter into an arrangement
display on the Website. It was agreed that this may need tweaking to better reflect
the business of the Parish Council. Cllr Williams said he will have a look at the
It was agreed for letters to be sent to Staff Members regarding Data Protection and
for work in progress to comply with the new regulation.
REVIEW OF REPRESENTATIVES FOR OUTSIDE ORGANISATIONS – deferred to the
Fire Station Agreement – not received yet
68/18. SPEEDWATCH: The Clerk reported that Mr Dyer has phoned to say that the 3
volunteers will continue to carry out sessions for a further twelve months. As
always they would welcome more volunteers so that more sessions can be held.
It was agreed to put a notice on Website and Noticeboard about this.
69/18. HIMALAYAN BALSAM IN PARK NOOK AREA: It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman
if he will cut this down before it goes to seed.
70/18 HIGHWAYS: The following matters were reported: –
- Pot Holes: Along Ipstones Edge to Casey Cross Roads
- Foxt Road & B5053 Junctions onto A52 at Froghall: It was noted that ‘high vehicles’ can’t see up Whiston Bank for trees on the former Bolton Site. It was agreed to write to the owners of the Bolton’s Site and ask if they will trim back the trees. It was also noted that there are signs that also obscure the vision for some drivers.
- The Bridge over the Canal on B5053 near Canal Cottages: Cllr Stevenson reported that some of the coping stones are cracked and have moved (Maybe have been hit by a vehicle) It was agreed to report to the Canal and River Trust and to ask for an update on the Crack in Cherry Eye Bridge.
- Pot Holes on Froghall Bank (B5053) – to be chased up on.
- Large Stones on Verge near White Chimneys: It was noted that these can be hidden by long grass (or snow in the winter) and agreed to write to the SCC.
- BT Pole, Park Lane: Cllr Williams reported that a BT pole along Park Lane had been cut through by a chainsaw and was only being held up by the wires. This is to be reported as an urgent matter.
- Pot Hole in Church Lane, near Marquis: This is to be reported.
- Water on Belmont Road: It was noted that now the water has been stopped draining onto the field that is due to be built on it is lying on the road as there is nowhere for it to escape to. It was agreed to write to the Council to ask if they can put a grid in.
- Miles Stones: It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman if he will paint the miles stones and treat the seats.
71/18. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- Cllr James reported that the Defib outside the Memorial Hall does not appear on a list that appears in a local paper. The Clerk is to check this out.
- Large Blue Trailer parked in Field on left as go toward Ipstones Edge Cross Roads – it was agreed to write to the District Council.
72/18. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Came & Co – Annual Insurance Premium||801.61|
|Lengthsman’s Monthly Payment (Net)||182.16|
|Lengthsman’s Expense (Miles 34 @ 0.45p & Fuel for Strimmer £6||21.30|
|Clerk’s Salary (Net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc Ink Cartridges, Stationery, 2 x trips to Buxton to see Independent Internal Auditor||
|Staffordshire farm Supplies Ltd for Servicing, New brush Cutter, Safety Boots, Perspex Visor & Trimmer Cord||
|Hampshire Flag Company – 3 x sewn Union Flags & 2 x Sewn St George’s Flags||
|L Malyon to reimburse from Chairman’s Allowance for card & gift for a diamond wedding anniversary||
|E Thompson – Independent Internal Audit||95.00|
|Mr M Emery – for mowing||700.00|
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 20th June 2018 at 7.30a.m.
at Foxt Village Hall
The Confidential minutes for the meeting held on 25/04/18
were agreed to be a true record.