IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 28 March 2018 at 7.00p.m. in the Methodist Church Sunday School Rooms
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Heather James, Linda Malyon (Chair), Howard Mycock, Sandy Richards, Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson & Patrick Stimpson. The Clerk, 1 Reporter & 9 Members of the Public
APOLOGIES: Councillor John Williams
DISPENSATIONS: None Received
DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS: it was agreed to take these as they arise.
On proposal by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Richards it was agreed to move that the minutes of the meeting held on 27 February 2018 to be a true record.
This was agreed unanimously.
34/18. MATTERS ARISING
- Summer Planting: The Clerk confirmed this had been ordered and the tubs would be planted end of May/beginning June.
- Pot Hole at bottom of Clerks Bank: It was noted that this had been repaired.
- Signage for Casey Bank/Ellastone Road: it was agreed to chase up on this matter.
- Grid outside No 7 Church Lane: it was noted that this is still blocked and to chase up on it as it should be on a 6 – 8 week cleaning schedule.
- Site Visit re Foxt Highway Issues: The Clerk reported that she had not received a response to this request. It was agreed to chase up on the matter.
- Lengthsman’s Strimmer: The Clerk reported that the Lengthsman is to see the Countrystore about which is the best model.
The Chairman moved that Agenda Item 9 – ‘To consider a Grant for Memorial Hall (up to but not more than £5000), to be taken next.
35/18. Grant for the Memorial Hall: Cllrs Malyon and Shuttleworth declared a personal interest in the item and took no part in the decision. Following advice received from the Staffordshire Parish Councils Association the Chairman moved that that the resolution to issue a grant for the sum of £3000 to the Memorial Hall at the last meeting to be invalid as it had been dealt with as correspondence and had not appeared on the agenda. The intention to consider the issuing of a grant up to but not more than of £5000, was on the current agenda so could be discussed and determined. Two e-mails received from the family of the people who had made the bequest was read out and it was noted that they are happy with what is being done in the Hall. A letter of objection to a grant being issued had also been received from Mrs T Hidderley. Members of the Council discussed the matter in which many of the concerns that were mentioned at the last meeting were raised and discussed again.
Standing Orders were then suspended to allow members of the public present to speak, and a further discussion/debate was made with members of the public having differing opinions as to whether a grant toward the extra expense for issues discovered while the current improvements/refurbishment (funded by a bequest) should be granted. Standing Orders were resumed. It was then proposed by Cllr Stimson and seconded by Cllr Mycock to issue a grant of £5000 under S 19 Miscellaneous Provisions. This proposal was lost by 2 votes in favour, 3 votes against with one member abstaining to vote. A second proposal was made by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Mycock to issue a grant for the sum of £3000.00, under S19 (Miscellaneous Provisions). This proposal was carried by 3 votes in favour, 2 against with one member abstaining to vote.
36/18. The following planning applications had been received: –
SMD/2018/0162 – for the proposed development of a stable block consisting of 3 stables and a hardcore track from the access road to ménage and stable areas to paddocks at Pear Tree Cottage, Foxt Road, Foxt. A letter from Mr & Mrs Swift regarding the change of name of the property from The Malthouse to Pear Tree Cottage was read out and comments noted. Following a discussion, it was proposed by Cllr Stimpson and seconded by Cllr James to support approval of the application but to ask about the name change as the original name has historic links with the Fox & Goose and is part of the heritage of Foxt which is in a conservation area. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2018/0188 – Application for Lawful Development Certificate for an existing use – the existing use of land as garden with the residential use. Cllr Stimpson declared a prejudicial interest and left the room. A letter from Mrs Stimpson was read out regarding the application. Following a discussion, it was proposed by Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Mycock to respond that ‘the boundary on the map appears to be wrong as it as it seems to have been extended to include a stable block, which was originally attached to the agricultural land. It is also believed that the stables are not being used as stables but possibly for domestic or business use for which there has been not change of use application’. This was agreed unanimously.
- Mr P Knight re World Scout Jamboree: The letter explained that he has been chosen to attend the World Scout Jamboree and that he is expected to fund the trip by fundraising and that he has already been doing some fundraising activities but wondered if the parish council would consider could help with any additional funding. During a short discussion Cllr Shuttleworth (who is also Chairman of the School Trustees) said that this request might be more appropriate for the School Trustees who issue grants to students for educational and other suitable activities. It was therefore agreed to ask Mr Knight to write to the School Trustees.
- SMDC re Foxt – proposed Conservation Area: the e-mail had stated that they could not locate where ‘Henstone’ well was or any information on it. It was noted that Cllr Stimpson has agreed to meet with someone to show them where it is.
- Leek & Moorlands Radio: An e-mail had been received form Ms B Hargreaves asking if we would let her know about the outcome of some of the items discussed at meeting that may be of interest to their listeners.
- Department of Health and Karen Bradley MP re NHS waiting times over the Christmas and New Year period: the letters were read out and comments noted.
- Mr A Hill (Fox & Goose) reply re Foxt One-way Road: The reply was read out and it was noted that they have taken several steps including putting a notice in the porch to remind drivers to turn left as they exit the car park and that he has spoken to a small number of repeat offenders. The letter mentioned that he has seen other drivers (not patrons of the Pub) come down the one-way road the wrong way and that he has witnessed several near misses as drivers have exited the Pub correctly. Mr Hill also mentioned that some of the offenders are locals. Mr Hill went on to say that he thought that the current system needs serious consideration. A letter was also received from Mr & Mrs Swift, which outlined similar concerns regarding the one-way road in Foxt. Following a discussion, it was agreed not to take any action at the current time as there is signs already there, but to thank Mr Hill for his comments and help in advising his customers to turn left and to also thank Mr & Mrs Swift for their comments.
- Lengthsman’s Reports (February & March): details of the reports were noted.
- Other Correspondence received and noted: –
SMDC – invitation to Chairman’s Charity Ball Community Council of Staffordshire – notification that they are uniting with Support Staffordshire ElanCity – advertisement of Radar Speed Signs
Other Circulars & Bulletins etc
SPC Assc – Weekly Bulletins
The chairman moved that the Agenda Items No 7. Data Protection Officer & No 8 Training and Risk Assessment for Lengthsman & Volunteers be deferred to the next meeting
38/18. REPORT ON INSPECTION OF FOXT PLAY EQUIPMENT: Details of the report were read out and noted. It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman to clean the equipment.
39/18. TO AUTHORISE CONTRIBUTION TO THE COST OF HIRING THE HALL FOR THE TWICE WEEKLY DOCTORS BRANCH SURGERIES IN THE MEMORIAL HALL, IPSTONES FOR THE PERIOD 1ST APRIL 2017 TO 11 SEPTEMBER 2017: It was agreed unanimously to authorise the sum of £67.50 (£1.50 per session) under S 137 Miscellaneous Payments.
40/18. BUS SHELTER, FROGHALL ROAD: It was noted that the Bus Shelter is very dirty. It was agreed to ask the people who clean the Wheelly Bins if they would clean it.
41/18. SPEED WATCH SCHEME: The Clerk reported that Mr Dyer was unable to come along tonight, but has said that there is only himself and one other person that volunteer for the Speed Watch Scheme now and that due to the poor weather during the winter months they had not been out. However, he said that they hope to do a session as soon as the weather starts to warm-up. It was agreed to invite Mr Dyer to the next meeting.
42/18. HIGHWAYS: the following matters were discussed: –
- Flooding along Park Lane: It was agreed to write to Mark Deaville Cabinet Member for Highways at SCC
- Grit Bins – it was agreed to write to Mark Deaville to ask about the Grit Bins he had promised.
- School Green – it was noted that vehicles are parking in front of peoples’ gateways making it difficult to access their properties. It was agreed to arrange for a sign to be put up asking drivers ‘to keep Residential Gateways Clear’ and to erect on the wall opposite (permission to be gained from the owner first).
- It was agreed to report pot holes in the following locations: –
- Near Newhouse Farm, Onecote Rd
- Outside 21/23 High Street
- Near to Canal Cottages
- Near to 2 Ivy Cottage, Clerks Bank
- To chase up on the pot holes on the lane that goes past Whitehough
- The Chairman agreed to ask the SCC to restock Grit Piles
43/18. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (Net) (March)||174.51|
|Clerk’s Salary (Net)||630.00|
|HMRC – PAYE||0.00|
|Mr M Emery for Repairs to PFP 102||180.00|
|Staffordshire Farms Supplies Ltd – Post and Cement for PFP102||8.80|
|Ipstones Methodist Church – donation for use of Sunday School Rooms for meeting 28/03/2018 – S137||
|L Malyon – reimburse from Chairman’s allowance for Gift and Card for Golden Wedding inc card for previous Diamond Anniversary in November||
|Ipstones Memorial Hall – Grant – authorised under S19 – Miscellaneous Provisions||
|Authorised for April 2018|
|SMDC re Hire of Cemetery Bin (01/04/18 to 31/03/19)||582.39|
The date of the next meeting was et for Wednesday 25 April 2018 at 7.00p.m.
in the Chapel Sunday School Rooms, Ipstones
The Chairman moved that the final Agenda Items to be treated as CONFIDENTIAL