IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 29 August 2018 at 7.30p.m.
in the Blore Suite at Ipstones Memorial Hall
PRESENT: Councillors Heather James, Linda Malyon (Chair), Howard Mycock,
Sandy Richards, Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson and John Williams.
The Clerk, 1 x Reporter & 1 Member of the Public
APOLOGIES: Councillors Philip Barks & Barry Shuttleworth
DISPENSATIONS: None received
DECLARATION OF INTEREST: it was agreed to take as they arise.
It was proposed by Cllr Williams and seconded by Cllr Stevenson to move that the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 18 July 2018 as being a true record.
This was agreed unanimously.
97/18. MATTERS ARISING
- Youth Club: It was noted that the Youth Club will be open twice a month not twice a week (this is due to staffing issues). Cllr Stevenson asked if the Youth Club is alright for funding. Cllr Malyon said she thinks so.
- Cemetery Tap: It was noted that this has now been replaced.
- Hedge, Foxt Community Area: Cllr Stimpson said he will look and ask the Hedge Cutter to cut the hedge. He will also look at the chunks of wood that have been dumped in the hedge bottom.
- Parking, Froghall Wharf: There was no news as to if a meeting had taken place.
- Tree, Shay Lane (entwined round BT Cables): Cllr Malyon said she had not had chance to look but will try to look before the next meeting.
- Drainage in Belmont Road: It was noted that this had not been done yet, but the Clerk said that there is a Road Closure Notice for later in September – so maybe that is when the work is going to be carried out.
- Agreement for Fire Station (for Office Space): An amended Agreement had been received and was signed by Cllr Malyon.
- Epicormic Growth on Lime Trees in the Cemetery: The Clerk reported that M Emery said he will be able to do this in the autumn.
- Mound of Rubble on North East side of the Cemetery: The Clerk said she will get some quotes in for this work.
- Hole Round the Grid in Brookfields Road (on bends below No 56): It was agreed to chase up on this.
- Stiles (Foxt): Cllr Williams said he will find out which stile it is. Stile (Ipstones): Cllr Stevenson will pinpoint this on a map.
98/18. PLANS: The following planning applications had been received: –
SMD/2018/0186 Proposed external balcony and staircase to dwelling at Foxtwood
Cottages, Foxt Road, Foxt. It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by
Cllr Stimpson to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2018/0427 Proposed Temporary agricultural workers accommodation at
Far Lake Farm, Shaw Wall Lane, Whiston: Cllr Stevenson declared a prejudicial
interest in this and left the room. Cllr Mycock declared a personal interest in this
application and did not take any part in the discussion or decision of this
application. Standing Orders were suspended to allow the Architect who was
present to speak. He said that it is Temporary for two years, when, if it proves to be
viable to have an agricultural worker’s dwelling on the site a full application will be
submitted. Standing Orders were resumed. It was proposed by Cllr James and
seconded by Cllr Williams to support approval of the application. This was agreed
SMD/2018/0430 Proposed lean-to livestock building at Bottomlane Farm, Bottom
Lane, Ipstones. It was proposed by Cllr Mycock and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to
support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2018/0450 Proposed construction of Garden Room – Resubmission of
SMD/2018/0111 at Garden Cottage, School Green, Ipstones. On proposal by
Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Stevenson it was agreed unanimously to support
approval of this application.
SMD/2018/0459 Erection of new cattle shed north of existing farm house and
farm buildings at Hermitage Farm, Froghall Road, Froghall. It was proposed by
Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to support approval of this application.
This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2018/0533 Proposed two storey extension to form bathroom, garage, WC
and additional bedroom at Oakleigh, Park Lane, Ipstones. It was proposed by
Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to support approval of this
application. This was agreed unanimously.
99/18. PLAN: Concerns were raised as parish councillors were led to believe that a dwelling
was needed so the applicant could downsize due to a family members health. With
in weeks of approval being granted for the new dwelling the plot of land was on the
market. It was agreed to write to the Head of Planning and the Planning
Department to ask that more conditions are placed on similar applications when the
applicants say that the application has been made for health reasons.
- Douglas Macmillan: A thank you letter had been received regarding a recent donation.
- Ipstones Agricultural Society: A thank you letter had been received regarding sponsorship of the Annual Show.
- Lengthsman’s Report (July): Details of this were noted.
- T Hidderley re Pot Holes, Whitehough Lane and overgrown trees/bushes on Park Nook Road (near Foxt Cross Roads): It was agreed that these should be reported to the County Council and to advise Mrs Hidderley of this.
- The Practice Manager at Well Street Medical Practice: The reply was read out and the comments noted. With regard to the invitation for the Doctors and Practice Manager to attend a parish council meeting they suggested that representatives attend a PPG meeting on 10th Cllr Morris said that the service has got worse over the years and suggested that the parish council does a questionnaire for parishioners who are patients of the Well Street Practice to complete. A sub-committee will meet to formulate questions. The questionnaires could be placed in public areas such as Shops, Pubs, Churches etc. It was agreed to reply that the parish council would still prefer for the Doctors and Practice Manager to attend a meeting with the parish council rather than take up the whole of the PPG meeting. It was also agreed to write to the Doctors’ individually, marking the letters ‘Private and Confidential’ and invite them to meet with the parish council.
- Local Bus Services: Cheadle TC, Kingsley PC & Leek TC have responded that they are willing to send representatives to a meeting regarding the local bus services. However, Aimees Coaches had not yet responded. Cllr Stevenson said that Alton does not have a bus service now but decided to hire a mini bus once or twice a week to take people into Cheadle. It was agreed to wait until Aimees get back to us before setting a date for the meeting. An e-mail had also been received from Draycott PC expressing an interest in attending the meeting. It was agreed to let them know when the date has been fixed.
- The Police & Fire Service Commissionaire: A reply suggested several dates on which the Police Commissionaire is free to attend a meeting. It was agreed to accept Tues 30th October if it is still available.
- Mr Sutton: A letter asked why there was not mention in the minutes for 27 June, that the Police had attended. It was agreed to respond that two Police Officers had called in prior to the meeting commencing and had left the room before the meeting started and that the parish council always welcome the Police to call in whenever possible.
- SCC Northern Area Engineer: An e-mail reported that the work on the culverts in Park Lane had been completed and that a Work Order has been issued for the new grid along Belmont Road.
- Other Circulars etc: –
SPC Assc – Weekly Bulletins
SMDC – invite to Chairman’s Charity Ball
101/18. SMDC – RE REPAIRS TO LISTED FUNERARY MONUMENTS: One of the listed
memorials is the Prince Memorial and is situated in the Church Yard in Ipstones.
Cllr Shuttleworth, who had been looking into this had e-mailed to advise that the
District Council have money in place to do basic repairs to a number of listed
Funerary monuments with in the District but would welcome contributions to
costs of repairs so that other funerary monuments could be included in the repair
program. Cllr Shuttleworth had added that he would be in favour of giving an
amount toward the cost. Following discussion, it was agreed by the members
present not to donate anything as other potential costs in the pipeline such as the
102/18. PEAK LEADER GRANT FOR CULTURAL AND HERITAGE BUILDINGS: Cllr
Shuttleworth had e-mailed to say that he is still looking into this.
103/18. RISK ASSESSMENT/TRAINING: A copy of the Risk Assessment had been given to
the Lengthsman to look at. The Clerk informed members that when she had last
spoken to the volunteer mowers in Foxt none had seemed too keen on doing the
training (some of them work during the day). It was suggested that if this is the
case then they could perhaps sign a disclaimer. Training for the Lengthsman is to
be discussed at the next meeting.
GDPR – this item was deferred to the next meeting
- Foxt Bank: It was agreed to report that the bank is now slipping and has a large crack in it and needs urgent attention.
- The Bridge over the Canal (Near Canal Cottages): It was agreed to send a letter of thanks to the Canal and River Trust, for the prompt response in repairing the bridge and to also ask for an update about Cherryeye Bridge.
- Wall, Cart Lane: It was noted that the hedge on the opposite side of the road to the wall has been cut but the wall is still causing problems for larger vehicles travelling up/down Cart Lane and it is thought that the ‘bulges’ in the wall are getting bigger. It was agreed to write to the Land Owner.
105/18. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- Litter Bins: Cllr Malyon reported that there are no litter bins in Brookfields Rd, from the School down and that there no bins on the circular route round Belmont to Church Lane, and that the bin outside the Shop is always overflowing with ‘fag ends’ lying round the bin. It was agreed to write to the DC and ask if they can put a larger bin outside the Shop and if they can put a bin on Brookfields Road and on the circular route round Belmont.
- Garden Plots: It was noted that the Clerk had had a phone call regarding a few issues with ‘dog poo’ bags being thrown into the garden area and that someone had cut a small Sycamore tree down without permission from the lessees or the parish council.
- Sign from Telephone Kiosk: Cllr Morris said she had noticed the ‘Telephone’ sign had fallen off the Kiosk, so she had picked it up in case it went missing. It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman if he might be able to fix it back up or if not inform BT.
- Speed Watch: Mr Dyer has informed the Clerk that they have recently carried out a couple of sessions, one at either end of the village, and caught 24 vehicles travelling over 35 mph. They will carry out other sessions when they are able.
- ‘Skip Sign’ on Car Park in Foxt: The Clerk reported that Mr Holt had phoned to ask if Foxt Village Hall could have the sign, so they may convert it into a sign for the Village Hall Car Park. It was agreed that they could providing they remove ‘Ipstones Parish Council’ from the board. It was agreed to have a sign made for the Car Park at Foxt to say, ‘Public Car Park’.
106/18. QUARTERLY ACCOUNTS REPORT (April – June 2018): Members had each received
a copy of the quarterly accounts report which were checked against the Bank
Statements. It was agreed to accept the quarterly accounts report as a true
107/18. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following payments were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (net) including 15 extra hours for painting
|Lengthsman’s Expenses inc. mileage, fuel for strimmer & paint||47.55|
|Clerk’s Salary (Net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc Ink Cartridges||42.08|
|To reimburse Clerk for purchase of First Aid Kit for Lengthsman||14.99|
|M Emery – Mowing||700.00|
|Staffordshire Farm Supplies for Litter Picker for Lengthsman||14.99|
|L Malyon – reimburse from Chairman’s Allowance for purchase of card & gift for a 90th Birthday||
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 26 September 2018 at 7.00p.m.
In the Blore Suite at Ipstones Memorial Hall
A Sub committee meeting was fixed for Tuesday 11th September 2018 at 7 p.m. to formulate questions for a questionnaire on the Doctors Branch Surgeries
The final Agenda Item was deemed to be treated as CONFIDENTIAL