IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 1st November 2017 (October Meeting) at 7.00p.m.
in Foxt Village Hall
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Howard Mycock, Heatehr James, Linda Malyon (Chair), Sandy Richards and Patrick Stimpson. The Clerk, 1 Reporter and 9 Members of the Public. Guests Mr Andrew Mason, Joint Master of the Moorland Hunt and Sgt Bland.
Apologies: Councillors Shuttleworth, Stevenson & Williams
The Chairman welcomed the Guests and members of the public and introduced the first guest Mr Andrew Mason the Joint Master of the Moorlands Hunt.
It was explained to Mr Mason that some of the local Landowners had had problems with the Hunt going onto land without the Landowners permission and that there had been incidences of people on foot with guns. Mr Mason said that the Moorlands Hunt does not carry guns and he did not know who these people are. He said that they do their utmost to contact all Landowners to gain permission to go on their land and that they lay a trail for the Hounds to follow. A member of the public said that the Hounds had been in Blackbank Wood where there is no way you can lay a trail and that he has been trying to keep the Hounds off his land for years. He said the problem is if the hounds pick up other scents and follow them rather than the trail. Mr Mason replied that they can’t stop that from happening but they do try to get the hounds back.
Cllr Barks arrived.
Another member of the public added that she has to put her chickens away when the hounds go on her land and that she has seen the hounds 1 ½ miles from the Riders. Mr Mason said it is usual for only a few horsemen to be with the hounds.
Another resident added that she had had problems every week for a month. She said that she had met a group of men on foot and when asked what they were doing they said that they were trying to ‘flush’ out foxes. Mr Mason said that these people were nothing to do with the Moorland Hunt and he did not know who they were. Sgt Bland said that if someone is ‘flushing’ out foxes or carrying guns on peoples land they should call the Police.
Another member of the public added that he had followed the Hunt on the road and that along Church Lane the Riders were 4 abreast, making it impossible for him to pass. On another occasions it was reported that a horse in a field had become sacred by the hounds and had escaped and on another occasion the Hunt had gone into someone’s Hay Field – Mr Mason said that he was aware of these incidents and added that he has spoken to the owners. Mr Mason said that he will personally try to meet or speak with all the Landowners in the Ipstones area.
The Chairman said it might help if the Moorlands Hunt keep in touch with Landowners and the Police so that they all know when they are holding the Moorlands Hunt so that people are aware and that they don’t get confused with other ‘Hunts’ that visit the area. Mr Mason said that if anyone wishes to Contact him his number is 07816 488067 (He gave permission for this number to be put in the minutes)
The Chairman thanked Mr Mason for coming along.
It was noted that the other Guest Mr Deaville from the County Council had not arrived.
The Chairman welcomed Sgt Bland and thanked him for coming along at short notice. She went on to explain that there are severe problems and safety issues with the congestion of traffic on High Street and explained that there are no pavements or just very narrow pavements in places and that the number of HGV’s that are now using the road through the village as a short cut is making the situation worse and that they sometimes mount the pavement to get passed parked vehicles or vehicles coming in the opposite direction and one lady whose house is close to the road cannot open her windows because of the HGV’s going on the pavement and that someone has lost three wing mirrors while being parked on High Street. Cllr James added that in the evening there are several young people on tractors tearing through the village.
Sgt Bland said that other Villages experience similar issues and that he will look at the issues to see what can be done.
Cllr Barks asked Sgt Bland about the issue of dry stone walls being pinched. Sgt Bland replied that this sort of crime is very difficult to detect.
Sgt Bland asked about the Community Speed Watch scheme and said if we are struggling for volunteers had we considered joining with other villages such as Kingsley, Cheddleton etc so that the equipment and volunteers could be shared. He said he would be happy to oversee this if we let him know.
Sgt Bland advised that ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Reading) has now been set up in a few locations within the Moorlands and this helps them to pick up any issues with vehicles and also with crime detection.
Cllr Malyon expressed concerns over the Children’s Care Home and proposed new Care Home at Ipstones Edge. Sgt Bland said that the Police are aware of the situation and do what they can. Cllr Malyon thanked Sgt Bland for coming along.
The normal Parish Council meeting was commenced.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: to be taken as they arise.
DISPENSATIONS: None Received.
It was agreed to an amendment to the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 27th September 2017 – to change minute 104/17. C. to read ‘It was agreed to send a thank you letter to Brian Snow for arranging for someone to cut the hedge on Red Lion Bank.’
106/17. MATTERS ARISING:
- Bolton’s Site: Cllr James reported that she sees a Milk Tanker parked on the pavement outside Bolton’s most mornings. It was agreed to send a letter to the Company.
- Repairs to PFP 102: the Clerk reported that the Lengthsman said he could repair the path and thinks that about 1 or 2 tons of hard core is required. Cllr Mycock thought that this wasn’t much and thought it would take about 5 ton. It was agreed to ask the County Council for 5 tons of ‘large hardcore down to dust’. Cllr Malyon said she would enquire about borrowing a ‘Wacker Plate’.
- Summer Planting: It was agreed to enquire with the new owners of Old Hall Nursery.
- Copper Beech Tree for Foxt: It was agreed to get a price for a copper Beech tree of about 2 metres in height.
107/17. PLANS: the following planning applications had been received: –
SMD/2017/0502 Proposed dwelling on Land Adjacent to 13 Belmont Road, Ipstones. (Modified Plans). A letter of support had been received and was read out. The Chairman suspended Standing Orders to allow the public to make comment. One local resident said he was concerned about the extra traffic and asked about traffic calming. Cllr Malyon explained that the parish council had been declined traffic calming on the main road so it wouldn’t be allowed on a side road. Another resident said that one dwelling wouldn’t make much difference to the traffic on Belmont Road. Standing Orders were resumed. It was proposed by Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Barks to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0575 Proposed construction of farm Workers dwelling at Far Lake Farm, Shaw Walls Lane, Whiston. Cllr Stimpson declared a personal interest in this application and Cllr Mycock declared a prejudicial interest due to being lobbied about the application. It was agreed to make no comment on this application as the site plan had an old date on.
- A thank you card had been received from a resident who had recently received a gift and card on the occasion of their 90th It was also noted that a Foxt Resident had recently passed away and because the family had been helpful to the parish council in the past it was agreed to send the family a sympathy card.
- Lengthsman’s Report (September): Details of this were noted.
- Mrs Atkinson re Parking near Hetty’s Tea Shop, Froghall Wharf: A reply was read pedestrians in the road and that this is a ‘slow’ painted on the road at either end od Froghall Wharf.
- Cllr Forrester, Cabinet Leader for the Environment re Dog Bins: The letter advised that his view remains the same as before and that the DC won’t replace the bin opposite the junction with Belmont Road and to contact Mr Cummings over the exact positioning of the bin for Church Lane. It was agreed to ask for the bin in Church Lane to go in its original position.
- SMDC Compliance & Monitoring Officer (Planning Enforcement) re Old Chip Shop. High Street, Ipstones: The reply advised that they have referred the issue of the windows to Building Control and the issue of rubbish in and around the property to the Environmental Health Dept. Cllr Malyon said she will chase up on what is happening.
- Mrs Smith re House Name Sign: An e-mail had been received regarding the lady having difficulty obtaining permission from neighbours whose driveway she shares, to erect a House Name Sign. It was agreed to advise the lady to contact the owner of the field adjacent to the lane to see if they would allow her to put a sign in the corner of their field.
- Douglas Macmillan re Fund Raising: It was agreed unanimously to donate the sum of £100.00 under S 137 (Miscellaneous Payments).
- Karen Bradley MP re ‘Trip to Westminster’: details of forthcoming trips were noted and a copy of the letter has been placed on the Noticeboards.
- Other Circulars, Newsletters etc: –
NALC – various Topic Notes on General Data Protection Regulation SPCA – Weekly Bulletins Churnet Valley Railway – 25th Anniversary Gala SPCA – AGM information
109/17. QUOTES FOR MOWING CONTRACTS: Five quotes had been received for all three sites and one quote for just two of the sites. The prices of the quotes were read out. It was agreed not to go for the three most expensive quotes nor the quote for just two sites. A vote was taken on the two remaining quotes and the Quote from Mark Emery for the sum of £5400 for all three sites for each of the seasons 2018 & 2019 was carried by 3 votes to 2 votes. Therefore it was resolved that the Contract be awarded to Mr Emery.
It was agreed to send a letter of thanks and a gift to Mr Hooley for all the hard work he has done over the years he has been doing the mowing.
110/17. REMEMBRANCE SERVICES: Details of the times of Services were noted. Cllr Malyon agreed to do the reading at St Leonard’s Church.
ANNUAL REVIEWS AND APPOINTMENT OF INDEPENDENT INTERNAL AUDITIOR WAS DEFERRED TO THE NEXT MEETING
111/17. FOXT CONSERVATION AREA: A booklet with details of the Foxt Conservation area is to be passed around for Members to read. Of the members who had already looked at the booklet it was mentioned that some of it is ‘out of date’ due to planning approvals for new dwellings and also that Henstone Well is not mentioned. Cllr Malyon said she will pass these comments on to the SMDC Conservation Dept.
- Foxt Bank – it was agreed to chase up on
- New signage for Bottomhouse Cross Roads – it was agreed to chase up on this.
- The Bends going toward Belmont: Cllr Richards reported that a large vehicle has taken a lot of soil down from the road side onto the road and that it could cause damage to a vehicle as the soil etc is solid. Cllr Malyon agreed to send an urgent e-mail when she gets home
113/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- Damaged Headstone: Cllr Richards declared a prejudicial interest in this. The Clerk reported that she had been approached by someone who says that their parents’ headstone has been damaged possibly by a strimmer. The Clerk had advised the person to write in but had not yet received a letter. It was agreed to ask if the person will write in with the details.
- Cllr James (Nee Morris) advised members of the council that she is now married and asked if she needs to do anything regarding her change of name. it was agreed that the Clerk will enquire with SMDC about this.
114/17. QUARTERLY ACCOUNTS REPORT FOR PERIOD 1st July to 30 September 2017: Each member had received a copy. The bank reconciliation was checked against the Bank statements. It was agreed to accept the Quarterly Accounts Report as a true record.
115/17. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: the following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Redwood Tree Services Ltd – Spraying Japanese Knotweed||120.00|
|D W Banks – for Hosting, Domain Name & Security of Website||135.00|
|Lengthsman’s net Pay for October 2017 (Inc 4 extra hours worked)||207.75|
|Lengthsman’s Expenses – fuel for strimmer||6.00|
|Clerk’s Salary (net0 for October 2017||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc Ink Cartridges||30.62|
|E-on Energy for Street Light Maintenance of Light at New Cottages||80.28|
|Ipstones Memorial Hall – Doctors’ rent (01/07/17 to 08/09/17)||500.00|
|Ipstones Memorial Hall – meeting x 3||48.00|
|Mr J Hooley for mowing||620.00|
|Ipstones and Foxt RBL – Wreaths & Poppy Appeal (S137)||200.00|
|Douglas McMillan Hospice – Donation – S137||100.00|
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 29th November 2017 at 7.00p.m. in the Memorial Hall, Ipstones