IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the AGM and meeting held on Wednesday 24th May 2017 at 7.30 p.m. in the rear extension of Ipstones Memorial Hall
PRESENT: Councillors Linda Malyon, Heather Morris, Howard Mycock, Sandy Richards, Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson and Patrick Stimpson. The Clerk, 1 x Reporter and 3 members of the public.
APOLOGIES: Cllr Philip Barks
Councillor Malyon thanked fellow Members of the Parish Council and the Clerk for all the support that they have given in the role of Chairperson during the last 12 months.
51/17. Election of Chairperson and Vice Chairperson: Invitations for nominations for the position of Chairperson were invited. Cllr Shuttleworth proposed that Cllr Malyon be the Chairperson this was seconded by Cllr Mycock. A second proposal was made by Cllr Stevenson for Cllr Shuttleworth to be Chairperson. Cllr Shuttleworth declined the role. Following a vote on the first proposal, Cllr Malyon was elected as Chairperson for the forth coming year. Cllr Malyon proposed for Cllr Shuttleworth to be Vice Chairperson, this was seconded by Cllr Mycock and carried unanimously.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: It was agreed to take these as they arise.
DISPENSATIONS: None received.
52/17. MATTERS ARISING
- Foxt Telephone Kiosk: The Clerk reported that the paint has now arrived.
- Ipstones Telephone Kiosk: The Clerk reported that BT have not got back yet as to whether the Parish Council can arrange painting of the kiosk. This is to be chased up.
- Moorlands Hunt: It was agreed to invite the Master of the Hunt to one of the next few meetings. It was also agreed to invite one of the local PCSO’s to the same meeting.
- Update on Memorial Hall Project: It was noted that the Committee have now received 2 x tenders.
- PFP No 102: It was noted that the resurfacing of this footpath/bridleway is almost complete.
- Erosion of edge of Road at Foxt Road, Froghall: It was noted that a job has been raised by the County Council for flexible bollards to be erected along the section of road affected.
- Repair work to Millennium Arch: It was agreed to ask Whiston joinery when the work will be carried out.
- Moles in the Cemetery: It was agreed to ask Mr Sumner if he can take a look.
- Pot Holes by Churchside Barn: It was agreed to chase up on this.
- Gate to Foxt Community Area: The Clerk reported that Mr Reeves will chase up on the Contractor about this.
- Burning of heather etc on Common Land at Casey: Cllr Mycock reported that he had heard that it was hooligans who had set fire to the Common Land.
- Street Light M10, Church lane: It was noted that the door on this Street Light is still loose.
- Cemetery Mowing: It was noted that there has been several complaints about grass on headstones and graves. Cllr Shuttleworth agreed to speak with the Contractor about this.
- Cemetery Tap: The Clerk reported that the Plumber had not been able to locate the ‘Stop Tap’ so had not been able to carry out the repair. The Plumber advised that if we cannot locate the stop tap, then we could ask Severn Trent to look with a metal detector.
- Crowgutter Wood: Cllr Malyon reported that the fallen tree has now gone but the hand rail on the first bridge is loose and the floor of the 2nd bridge is rotting in places. It was agreed to contact the RSPB about this.
The minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2nd May 2017 (April Meeting) were approved unanimously as being a true record.
53/17. PLANS: The following planning applications had been received: –
SMD/2017/0275 Proposed bungalow and new vehicular access at land adjacent to Brook Cottage, Foxt Road, Foxt. Cllr Stimpson declared a prejudicial and personal interest in this application and left the room while it was being discussed and voted. Following a discussion it was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Morris to support this application as it would be an ‘infill’ not affecting anyone. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0302 New estate railings to car parking bays and post and wire fence to rear boundary, new pedestrian gates, blocking up of doorway to gable, replacement first floor window to bed 2, secondary glazing and a new stone fireplace surround at Glyndor, 24 High Street, Ipstones. Following a discussion in which the Chairperson mentioned that there had been Enforcements on previous applications for off road parking and fencing it was proposed by Cllr Morris and seconded by Cllr Stevenson to respond ‘that there is no objection to the main part of the development but not the car parking or fencing because of the previous history of enforcements. To ask that the planning officer goes back to the client to discuss this’. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0304 Proposed conversion of a stone barn into additional residential living accommodation associated with the original farmhouse and internal alterations and rear extension to the farmhouse at Bank Farm, Ashbourne Road, Winkhill. Following a discussion it was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
- SCC, Project Engineer re A 523 Bottomhouse Speed Limit Consultation: The e-mail advised that following the request to improve safety at Bottomhouse Cross Roads they propose to reduce the speed limit on the Onecote Road/Bottom Lane to ‘50mph’ and improve signage on both approaches. Following a discussion it was agreed to reply that members would like to see the following: –
- The speed limit to be reduced to ‘40mph’ on the approach to the junction including on the A523
- Better signage on the Onecote Road and Bottom Lane
- Traffic Lights would be a better option or flashing warning signs on the main road warning of hazardous cross roads ahead.
- SMDC re Lengthsman Scheme: The purchase order and time sheets had been received.
- SMDC re Dog Waste bins: The e-mail was read out and it was agreed to write to the Cllr Forrester, Cabinet Officer for the Environment and Cllr Ralphs, Leader of the District Council to ask for their support in reinstating bins in Church Lane and Froghall Road. To also reply to Mr Cummins.
- Staffordshire Moorlands Parish Assembly re meeting dates: Details of these were noted.
- County Councillor Gill Heath re ‘Horse Warning’ Signs: The e-mail advised that the cost of the signs was not as much as expected so she would be able to fund the cost of all 8 signs now.
- Lengthsmans Report (April): Details of this were noted.
- SMDC re Open Space, Sport and Recreation Study (reminder): Cllr Shuttleworth confirmed that he has already sent the questionnaire in.
- Other Bulletins, circulars, Newsletters etc: –
SPCA – Weekly Bulletins – 04/05; 11/05 & 18/05
SPCA – Training Courses –Chairmanship Skills & Local Councillor Training
NALC – Legal Briefing – LO3-17 – re Data Protection
NALC – Legal Topic Note 28 – Basic Charity Law
NALc – Putting Communities in Control
Clerks & Councils Direct – May 2017 issue
55/17. APPROVAL OF ANNUAL ACCOUNTS: Each member had received copies of the
Section 2 of the Statement of the Annual Accounts; Bank Reconciliation figures;
Explanation of significant differences between last year’s and this year’s figures;
Receipts and Payments totals and Breakdown of allocated reserves
The full Receipts and Payments was available for inspection.
The Independent Internal Auditor’s report was read out and queries noted. With regard to the query ‘in the event of absence of Clerk are internal processes (admin & finance) documented’. It was agreed that the Clerk should prepare a file of important and useful information that could be referred to should the situation arise.
It was agreed unanimously to accept the Annual Accounts as a true record of the parish council’s financial business during the financial year ended 31/03/17.
56/17. Review of Representatives for Outside Organisations: It was agreed that Cllr Shuttleworth would replace Cllr Morris as the Parish Council’s representative on the St Leonard’s First (C 0f E) School Board of Governors. Cllr Stevenson advised that he no longer wishes to be the representive for the Memorial Hall Committee. None of the other members present wanted to take on this role so it was agreed to ask Cllr Barks if he would be interested.
57/17. AGREEMENT FOR USE OF FACILITIES AT IPSTONES FIRE STATION FOR YEAR UPTO 31 MARCH 2018: It was agreed to accept this and the agreement was signed by the Chairperson.
58/17. SUMMER PLANTING: The Clerk had purchased 4 x half barrels to replace 4 broken barrels. It was noted that the barrel on Foxt Green was stuck down by being entwined with tree roots and the lady at Old Hall Nursery said she is unable to move this barrel and suggested that the replacement be put in a different location otherwise the same thing would happen. Cllr Stimpson said he would arrange for someone with a tractor to remove the barrel. It was agreed that the replacement barrel would go next to the seat further along The Green.
59/17. HIGHWAYS: The following issues were noted and are to be reported to County Highways: –
- Pot holes on the junction of Foxt Road and the A52
- Shay Lane, Ipstones – it was agreed to remind Highways that there are a lot of Pot Holes (over 40) along Shay Lane and that some of them are deep.
60/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- The Chairperson moved that a letter of congratulations be forwarded to Humphrey Scott-Moncrief, who has been made ‘High Sheriff’. This was agreed.
- The Chairperson suggested that a donation be forwarded to the Victims fund following the recent terrorist attack in Manchester. It was proposed by Cllr Williams and seconded by Cllr Stevenson to donate the sum of £200.00 under Section 137 (Miscellaneous Payments). This was agreed unanimously.
- Moneystone Quarry Site: Cllr Williams asked if the parish council would support him in a ‘Rule 6 Party’ application in order to allow him to speak at the appeal of the planning application for Moneystone Quarry. He said his main concern is the extra traffic the Holiday Facility would bring to the area. Cllr Stevenson asked Mr Williams if he will come back to the parish council before sending any comments in. Cllr Williams assured members that he would keep them informed. It was proposed by Clllr Malyon and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to support Cllr Williams application to enable him to speak at the appeal. This was agreed.
61/17. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (net)||174.51|
|Lengthsman’s Expenses (fuel for strimmer)||12.00|
|Clerk’s Salary (net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc. Ink Cartridges, 2 x trips to Buxton to see
Internal Auditor & 2 x trips to JTF at Fenton to collect Half Barrels for replacement Flower Tubs
|To reimburse Clerk for cost of 2 x Half Oak Barrels||71.98|
|To reimburse Clerk for cost of paint for Foxt Telephone Kiosk||57.85|
|Elizabeth Thompson – for independent Internal Audit||99.00|
|Hampshire Flag Company for union Flag for Memorial Hall Pole||141.72|
|Mr J Hooley for 1 x mow of Cemetery & 2 x mows of Foxt Community Area & 3 x mows of Barley Road Play Area||
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 28th June, 2017 at 7.30p.m.
in the rear extension of the Memorial Hall, Ipstones
(This is to be preceded by a site visit to the Cemetery at 7.00p.m.)