Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 28 June 2017 at 7.30p.m.
in the extension at Ipstones Memorial Hall
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Sandy Richards, Barry Shuttleworth (Chair), Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson and John Williams. The Clerk, 1 x Reporter & 5 members of the public.
APOLOGIES: Cllrs Malyon, Morris & Mycock
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: To be taken as they arise
DISPENSATIONS: None received.
On proposal by Cllr Stimpson and seconded by Cllr Stevenson it was moved that the minutes for the meeting held on Wednesday 24 May 2017 as being a true record.
62/17. MATTERS ARISING
- Foxt Telephone Kiosk: The paint had been passed to the Volunteer who is going to paint the kiosk.
- Staffordshire Moorlands Hunt: It was agreed to invite them to a future meeting.
- Millennium Arch: It was noted that the repairs have now been carried out.
- Gate to Foxt Community Area: It was noted that the gate has now been fitted back on.
- Path through Crowgutter: The Clerk reported that she had spoken to someone from the RSPB at Coombs Valley regarding the loose handrail on a one of the bridges and broken slat on another bridge. The Ranger said that they are planning improvement works on the path once they have funding in place.
- Horse Rider Warning Signs: It was noted that the signs are now up and agreed to write to County Councillor Gill Heath to thank her for providing the Signs from her DHP fund.
- Parish Council Representative for the Memorial Hall Committee: Cllr Barks declined to be the representative so the position currently remains vacant.
63/17. PLANS: The following applications had been received: –
SMD/2017/0302 New Estate railings to car parking bays and post and wire fence to rear boundary, new pedestrian gates, blocking up of doorway to gable, replacement first floor window to bed 2. Secondary glazing and new stone fireplace surround at Glendor, 24 High Street, Ipstones. This had been discussed at the last meeting and no further comments are to be made.
SMD/2017/0351 Proposed Snack Bar, Single storey, flat roofed, timber frame building with horizontal timber cladding to be used as additional accommodation to the existing café at Peak Wildlife Park, Ellastone Road, Winkhill. It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0361 Outline permission with details of access for three detached bungalows at Former Garage, Land off Foxt Road, Foxt. Cllr Stimpson declared a personal and prejudicial interest in the following application and left the room while it was being discussed and voted on. The Chairman suspended Standing Orders to allow members of the public present to speak. Mr Blackburn said it is a good thing to use industrial land and not agricultural land. He also said that it would be better for the environment as there is asbestos in the old Garage which would be removed. Mr Walker said that it is a good idea to use this site for houses. Standing Orders were resumed. It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Richards for approval of the application as it is infill, which the parish council prefers providing that there is no future development of the land to the rear of the proposed bungalows. This was carried by 4 votes in favour with one member abstaining to vote.
Cllr Stimpson re-entered the room.
SMD/2017/0376 Erection of Dormer Bungalow at Rose Cottage, Foxt Road, Foxt. The Chairman suspended Standing Orders to allow members of the public to speak. Both Mr Blackburn and Mr Walker said that they think the access onto a narrow one-way road would be dangerous/hazardous and that the proposed plot is too small. Mrs Cooke said that the parish council had already agreed to support another application for a property on the other side of the road. Standing Orders were resumed and after a discussion in which members expressed concern over the access onto the narrow one-way road it was agreed to hold a site visit before making comment.
- Mr & Mrs Clarke: A letter of thanks had been received for the gift that they received on the occasion of their Diamond Wedding Anniversary.
- Ms Tissandier – an e-mail had been received saying that she has recently moved to the parish and would like to know when the parish council meeting are and how she can find out more about getting involved in the local community. Information had been forwarded.
- Mr M J Haydock re planning application SMD/2017/0049 Erection of shed for storage of tools and equipment at Land South of Gate Farm, Foxt: In an e-mail Mr Haydock said that he found the parish council’s comments very disappointing and not backed up by evidence. He went on to say that he is creating a site to enhance the ecology and conservation of the site for which he requires tools and as some are heavy it would be difficult to carry them along sloping path and this why he applied to put a shed on the site. After a discussion it was agreed to reply that members are sorry that he is disappointed with their decision but at the time they had not felt the need to visit the site. To advise that Members take his concerns on board and that if the Planning Department also refuse the application then he can resubmit the application (after first discussing the reasons of refusal with the planners) and if it comes before the parish council again we will arrange to visit the site before making comment.
- Mr Ratcliffe: An e-mail had been received saying that someone he knows had attended a meeting in the autumn and had said that they had not felt welcome. The Clerk reported that Cllr Malyon has e-mailed Mr Ratcliffe and asked if he would like to meet with Members to discuss this matter.
- SCC Cabinet Member for Highways & Transport – re Verges Town End Road, Foxt:
A copy of a letter forwarded to Mr Sutton had been received and was read out and comments noted.
- SCC Cabinet Member for Economic Growth re SCC’s review of the management & maintenance of its countryside estate: The letter advised that subject to agreement the first groups to manage and maintain parts of the estate have been chosen. One, which will be named in due course, will be take on Consall Nature Park.
- SMDC & Inspector Thorley: re security for local elections and large gatherings: Details of the e-mail were noted.
- Leek & District Civic Society re Civic Society Award Scheme for the Environment: Details of this were noted.
- Plunkett Foundation – Call for Action – information to raise awareness within Town & Parish Councils of the potential benefits of community co-operatives and available support. This was noted.
- Other Bulletins, Newsletters and information: details of this were noted.
SPCA – Weekly Bulletins – 01/06; 08/06; 15/06 & 22/06
Crime Commissioner – Booklet on Cyber crime
The Chairman moved that Agenda Item 7 ‘Matters raised following site visit to Cemetery’ be treated as confidential and discussed at the end of the meeting.
65/17. DONATIONS AUTHORISED UNDER SECTION 137 (Miscellaneous Payments) (Free Resource): This matter is being discussed following the decision to make a donation to the Manchester Arena’s Victims Appeal and subsequently a suggestion from a member to make a similar donation to the Victims of the London Tower Block Fire. The Clerk explained that Section 137 should mainly be used for the benefit or potential benefit of parishioners foritems not covered by other specified powers of expenditure. But an extract was read out of the Arnold-Baker Local Council Administration book that said ‘The power includes power to contribute to the expenses of another local authority, and to contribute to charities for the furtherance of their work in the UK otherwise than for gain, and to any fund raised in connection with a particular event, directly affecting residents in the UK’. During a discussion in the following points were made ‘that the parish council could be setting a precedent for other terrorists’ attacks/disasters in the future’; ‘that although members empathise with the victims of these terrible tragedies it is up to individuals to donate to these appeals/charities that they wish to give to’ and ‘that it is public money that the parish council are dealing with’. It was then proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Stevenson to carry on with the donation to the Manchester Arena Victim’s Appeal as this was authorised at the May meeting, but that in future the parish council will not donate to a charity or disaster appeal unless it affects or has a benefit to all or some of the people from the local area and that it is up to individuals to respond/donate to other Appeals if they wish to do so. This was agreed unanimously.
66/17. PFP/Bridleway No 102 (Church Lane to Corner of Belmont Road): Cllr Stevenson said he thinks that as the parish council have paid for the resurfacing of the path he thinks that the parish council should take steps to adopt this path. It was agreed to enquire at the County Council.
67/17. Rubbish on Common Land at Ipstones Edge: Cllr Stevenson reported that a parishioner has mentioned that there is rubbish being dumped on the Common Land at Ipstones Edge. It was agreed to write to the adjacent farmer and ask if he knows anything about this.
68/17. ‘For Sale’ on the verge on Froghall Road: Complaints had been made to several members about vehicles being on the verge that are ‘For Sale’ and when on goes another one appears. It was agreed to write to Highways to see if there is anything that they can do about this.
69/17. Churchfield Court: Cllr Stevenson said he has no objection to the people currently living at Churchfield Court but wondered if priority was still given to local people when a house/flat becomes vacant as was the original intention. It was agreed to write to Staffordshire Housing Association to check on this.
70/17. HIGHWAYS: The following items were discussed: –
- Foxt Road, Froghall: Cllr Stimpson said that the edge of the road is getting worse so it was agreed to chase up as to when the bollards are to be installed.
- Road Side Hedges: It was noted that on several roads the hedges are getting overgrown. Cllr Stimpson advised that hedges cannot be cut until September.
- Pot Hole, Near Churchside Barn: It was agreed to chase up on this as it still has not been repaired and it is getting dangerous.
- Cross Roads – Ellastone Road/Winkhill/Casey: Cllr Williams reported that someone had had a near miss at this crossroads and on looking, it was noted that there is no ‘crossroad’ warning signs on the Ellastone Road. It was agreed to write to the County Council about this.
- Water on the Road near to Ipstones Park Farm (2): It was agreed to report this.
- Park Nook: It was noted that the ditches had been dug out and that a good job had been made.
- Ipstones Edge Cross Roads: It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman if he can strim the verge on the crossroads.
71/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- Newest Tree in Cemetery: it was noted that it needs a larger ‘tie’ and agreed for the Clerk to get one.
72/17. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment:-
|W J Jordan & Sons for resurfacing PFP/Bridleway 102||6522.00|
|Lengthsman’s Payment (Net)||174.51|
|Lengthsman’s Expenses (Fuel for Strimmer)||6.00|
|Clerk’s Salary (net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses Inc Ink Cartridges||30.69|
|Mrs L Malyon to reimburse from Chairman’s Allowance for gift and card for Diamond Wedding Anniversary||
|Old Hall Nursery – Summer Planting||448.60|
|Whiston Joinery – for repairs to the Millennium Arch||325.44|
|Mr J Hooley for 2 x mows||620.00|
|British Red Cross ‘Manchester Arena Appeal’ authorised under S137 miscellaneous payments||
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 26 July 2017 at 7.30p.m.
in Rear Extension of the Memorial Hall, Ipstones
The date for a site visit to Rose Cottage, Foxt was set for Tuesday 4th July at 6.30p.m.
It was moved that Agenda Item 7 ‘Matters raised following site visit to Cemetery’ was agreed to be treated as CONFIDENTIAL