IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 30th August 2017 at 7.30p.m. in the rear extension at Ipstones Memorial Hall
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Linda Malyon (Chair), Heather Morris, Howard Mycock, Sandy Richards, Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson & John Williams. County Councillor Gill Heath, the Clerk, 1 x Reporter & 13 Members of the Public.
APOLOGIES: None received.
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: To be taken as they arise.
DISPENSATIONS: None received.
On proposal by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Richards it was agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 26th July as being a true record.
On proposal by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Shuttleworth it was agreed that the minutes for the meeting held on Wednesday 28th June 2017 as being a true record.
82/17. MATTERS ARISING
- ‘Vehicles For Sale’, Froghall Road: The Clerk reported that Your Housing had phoned to say that they had spoken to the gentleman and that he had stated that he does not sell vehicles from his property, there had been none there at the time of the visit, but one of their Officers had seen the Catering Van that was for sale about a week before. It was advised that if any more vehicles appear for sale to let them know.
- Foxt Telephone Kiosk: Cllr Mycock reported that it will be painted as soon as there is some nice weather.
- Deep Rut at side of the road, Foxt Road, Froghall Wharf: It was noted that ‘Reflector Posts’ have been installed along the edge of the section of road affected.
- Old Fire Pump: It was noted that the Fire Service are happy for the pump to remain at Leek Fire Station until somewhere secure can be found to store/display it in Ipstones. It was agreed for members to have a think of possible sites for the pump to be stored/displayed.
83/17. PLANS: The following planning applications had been received: – SMD/2017/0466 Barn conversion for Granny Flat at Ipstones Park Farm, Park Lane, Ipstones. It was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Morris to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0474 Proposed living accommodation within the existing empty space above an existing barn at Black Bank Cottage, Shay Lane, Foxt. It was proposed by Cllr Morris and seconded by Cllr Williams to support approval of this application.
This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0482 Certificate of Lawfulness for the erection of a two storey rear extension at Greenbank Farm, Foxt Road, Foxt. It was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
SMD/2017/0502 Proposed dwelling on Land adjacent 13 Belmont Road, Ipstones. Cllr Shuttleworth declared a prejudicial interest in this application. The main application and plans had not been received. The Chairman suspended Standing Orders to allow members of the public to speak. One Gentleman commented that the proposed materials are not in keeping with the rest of the properties in Belmont Road. Cllr Stevenson suggested holding a site visit. Standing Orders were resumed. The Chairman moved that a site visit be arranged when the full application had been received.
Notification that the following application is being referred to the Planning Applications Committee on the 31 August 2017 had been received: –
SMD/2017/0376 Erection of Dormer Bungalow at Rose Cottage, Foxt Road, Foxt.
- SCC Community Traffic Management Officer re Cross Roads in Ellastone Road (for Casey & Winkhill): The reply stated that they had no accident data for the location in the last five year period. But stated that when the request is prioritised the signs may only be used on the priority route i.e Ellastone Road.
- District Councillor Forrester re Dog Bins in the Ipstones Parish: The reply stated that he had reviewed the decisions made by their officers in relation to the issues raised and that he could not support the parish council’s request for the bins to reinstated in their original locations. The Chairman moved to reply and say that it is necessary for there to be a bin opposite the junction of Belmont Road and also one on Church Lane, but not in the location that they have suggested due to parked vehicles impeding access to the bin.
- Staffordshire Housing Association re Allocation of Houses at Churchfield Court: A reply stated that ‘the letting of these properties is subject to a local connection criteria which means that those allocated a home should live, work or have a family connection to Ipstones. Then if a suitable applicant cannot be found the boundaries are extended to include surrounding parishes and then across the Staffordshire Moorlands Local Authority area. If suitable applicants still cannot be found they would then include applicants from outside the Staffordshire Moorlands Area – but stated that this situation does not arise regularly and the majority of allocations are made to those with connections to Ipstones and the surrounding parishes. It was agreed to write back that if, when trying to allocate a property, they are struggling to find someone from the parish, if they let the parish council know, members may be aware of individuals who a seeking an affordable home in the village.
- Lengthsman’s Report (July 2017) and Play Area Check Forms (26/05/17 to 28/08/17): details of these were noted.
- Mr & Mrs Flint: A thank you letter had been received for the gift and card presented to them on the occasion of their Golden Wedding Anniversary.
- Ipstones Agricultural Society: A thank you letter had been received for the Sponsorship of the Annual Show.
- Red Cross: A thank you letter had been received for the donation made to the Manchester Arena Appeal.
* There are some other corres after AOB on page 6
85/17. CONCLUSION OF ANNUAL AUDIT: The Annual Return had been returned from
the External Auditors and the comments for Section 3 – External auditor
certificate and report 2016/2017 stated: – ‘on the basis of our review of the
annual return, in our opinion the information in the annual return is in accordance
with proper practices and no other matters have come to our attention giving cause
for concern that relevant legislation and regulatory requirements have not been
86/17. CONSULTATION REGRDING PREFERRED OPTIONS (SM LOCAL PLAN): Comments
made on the proposed Preferred Options were: –
- That it is good that there are no large developments/estates planned – only infill.
- Cllr Shuttleworth mentioned that in the local plan it states of ‘maintaining rural public transport to sustain villages to improve connectivity for villages and market towns’ and how would this work if the SCC are proposing to cut subsidies to the local bus services.
- Cllr Malyon said if the bus services are under threat it could put the LDF in to crises
- If they are trying to increase tourism in the area the potential loss of bus services would impact on this.
It was agreed to respond to the consultation with comments made above.
County Cllr Gill Heath arrived.
- 87/17. DAMAGE CAUSED TO PFP 102 (By heavy rainfall): Cllr Malyon reported that the site visit had taken place and that the Community Infrastructure Liaison Manager had stated that he will put the grids outside No 1 to No 7 Church Lane on a 6 to 8 weeks emptying programme and that he would raise the kerb across a section of the top of the path to help direct any water to the next grid. He said he would speak to Councillor Gill Heath to see if she had any funds to help with the repairs to the path. The Clerk reported that the Rights of Way Officer had said that he might be able help with the supply of materials. Cllr Malyon asked Cllr Heath if
there is anyway the County Council can help with the repair to the footpath/bridle
way. Cllr Heath agreed she would speak to the Rights of Way Officer and
see what she could do. It was agreed that any materials would need to include
limestone dust in order to bind the hard core together better.
88/17. STAFFORDSHIRE SUBSIDISED BUS REVIEW CONSULTATION: It was noted that it is
proposed to cut the subsidies to all the bus services that go through Ipstones.
Cllr Malyon said that if this happens it will cut off the villages and asked Cllr Heath if
she will support us in keeping the subsidy. Cllr Heath said she is on our side and that
she has had lengthy discussions with the person in charge and is getting nowhere.
Cllr Heath went on to explain that the County Council are still putting money into
subsidising bus services, but are taking subsidies away where the subsidy is most
expensive per head of passenger. Cllr Heath said one possible solution is to half the
number of bus journeys through Ipstones which would cut the cost of the subsidy
and that she is going to speak to Cllr Ralphs to ask if the District Council may be able
to help in any way. Cllr Heath also asked if the parish council would consider
contributing in order to cut the cost to the County. Cllr Malyon said that she doesn’t
see why the District and Parish Councils should pay extra money when they
already pay Council Tax, part of which goes to the County. Cllr Heath said that she is
trying her best for us but will have to speak to the Bus Company to see if it will be
viable for them to take away half of the bus journeys as currently they allocate a bus
and driver for the day to cover the service that goes through Ipstones. She said it
could be that if bus and driver could be shared between two areas.
Cllr Barks commented that rural areas are where buses are vital for people who
need them and if the bus service goes people will move away from villages.
The Chairman suspended Standing Orders in order to allow public present to speak.
Comments made by the public present included: –
- That less bus services would make it more viable
- Another person stated that he uses the buses 3 or 4 times a week
- Would using smaller buses reduce the cost
- People on low incomes cannot afford to pay for ‘dial a bus’ or taxis
- People need the buses to get to Doctors/Dentists/Hospital appointments etc
- It is very important for people to be able to get out as when people become socially isolated it can cause more mental health issues
- That Bus Companies can’t compete in rural areas
- Some areas seem to have a huge amount of Subsidy
- At School Bus times the buses are full
Standing Orders were resumed.
Cllr Morris said that people are paying Council Tax some of which goes to Bus
Subsidies, so how is it fair for people to pay toward bus services in other areas when
there are no bus services in their own area?
Cllr Shuttleworth asked how this will fit in with the Staffordshire Moorlands Local
Plan which states that it will improve connectivity between rural villages and towns?
Cllr Williams asked if the contract can go to tender again for smaller buses if the
current Bus Company is struggling to provide these?
A discussion followed on the times of the buses that are vital and times that could
be cut so that Cllr Heath could go back to the County Council with all the
information and comments made. She said she is really sorry but it doing all she can.
89/17. POLICE AND FIRE CONSULTATION: Members had had copies explaining the options
being put forward. After a short discussion it was proposed by Cllr Williams for
Option 3. ‘where the PCC takes on the functions of the FRA but the two
organisations remain separate. This was seconded by Cllr Stimpson. This was
90/17. WREATHS/DONATION FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY: It was noted that for many years
the amount donated toward the cost of four wreaths to be presented by the parish
council and the Poppy Appeal had been £165.00. It was proposed by
Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Barks to increase the amount to £200 to be
authorised under Section 137 (miscellaneous payments). This was agreed
91/17 HIMALAYAN BALSAM (CART LANE): It was reported that Himalayan Balsam in a
field off Cart Lane is spreading to other properties. It was agreed to write to the
Land Owner and ask he will arrange for it to be removed to stop it spreading.
It was also agreed to ask the Lengthsman to remove Himalayan Balsam from verges
in the Park Nook area and Park Lane (agreed it will probably be better to do this in
the spring before it flowers).
92/17. CEMETERY TAP: The Clerk reported that Severn Trent have been and located the
main stop tap (which is just on the other side of the wall from where the first tap is)
There is a blue mark on the wall – the cover was covered by hard-core). It was
agreed to ask the Plumber to look at the tap that’s leaking and ask if it might be
better to replace it with either a ‘lever tap’ or a ‘push top tap’ to stop the tap being
damaged by over-tightening and to also replace the stop tap below the tap.
93/17. HIGHWAYS: The following issues were noted: –
- Foxt Bank: It was noted that the ‘slipping’ is getting worse and agreed to chase up on this.
- Parking on Pavement outside former Bolton’s Site: It has been noticed that HGV’s are again parking on the pavement so it was agreed to write to them and ask if they can ask Drivers not to park on the pavement.
- Parking on Road outside Café at Froghall Wharf: Cllr Shuttleworth declared a personal interest in this and did not take part in discussions or decision. Cllr Williams reported that vehicles are parking on Foxt Road outside the Café and it makes it difficult for other vehicles getting past safely. It was agreed to write to the owner of the Café and ask if they could put some bollards up to deter people parking there.
94/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT:
- Boxed Area for Remembrance Crosses: It was noted that the Lengthsman has now made the box and it was agreed to ask if he will paint it brown or green).
- Cemetery: Reports have been received that someone has been digging clods of grass from under the wall and also that some broken pieces of Marble that had been left under the wall have not all been removed by the Stone Mason. It was agreed to ask if they will do this when they are next in the Cemetery. It was uncertain as to who had been digging the clods of grass up.
- The Old Chip Shop, High Street: Cllr Morris said that she has received several complaints from concerned neighbours about the condition of the property i.e. that there is the remains of cuttings from bushes that have been left on the pavement; that the shed at the back is full of rubbish which could encourage vermin such as rats and the boards covering the windows are not secure and could fall out on to the pavement. It was agreed to write to the Enforcement Officer again.
- Work on the Memorial Hall: Cllr Morris said that people have been asking her what is going on. Cllr Malyon said that they are consulting with the Doctors about the Surgeries and that they are hoping that they will agree to use the Chapel/Chapel Rooms while the work is going on. Cllr Morris said she is also concerned that the parking on Church Lane will get worse as the Contractors will be using the Hall Car Park. Cllr Malyon responded that the Contractors will use a fenced off compound area for their vehicles and that there will still be some parking available on the car park and there will always be a way in to Tiny Tots. She added that Emergency Vehicles would always have an access from the bottom gate. She informed members that the Hall will be completely closed from 15th December until March. Cllr Malyon told members to tell people if they have any questions or concerns to speak to the Hall Committee.
84/17. *CORRESPONDENCE cont…
- Foxt Village Hall Committee: A letter had been received regarding ongoing work at Foxt Village Hall and requesting the allocated Grant of £700.00. It was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Richards to issue the Grant of £700.00 under Section 19 (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1972. This was agreed unanimously.
- SCC re Local Authority Representative as School Governor: Cllr Shuttleworth took this letter to follow up.
- Natural England re Swineholes Wood and Blackheath SSSI Site: A letter had been received notifying that they are making changes to the way they handle queries relating to the above, mentioned areas.
95/17. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were made for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (Net)||174.51|
|Clerk’s Salary (Net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc. Ink Cartridges||58.16|
|Staffs Farm Supplies Ltd for Tape and Post for PFP 102||9.13|
|Grant Thornton for Annual Audit||240.00|
|Foxt Village Hall – Grant – authorised under Section 19
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 27th September 2017 at 7.00p.m.
at Ipstones Memorial Hall (Main Hall)