IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 28th September 2016 at 7.00p.m. in the rear extension of the Memorial Hall, Ipstones
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Linda Malyon (Chair), Sandy Richards, Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson and John Williams. Also present: – the Clerk, 1 x Reporter, 2 members of the public and Guests Inspector Mark Thorley and PCSO Bridgwood.
APOLOGIES: Councillors Heather Morris, Howard Mycock and Barry Shuttleworth
The Chairman welcomed the guests and members of the public to the meeting and moved that agenda item 7, Ipstones Edge Care Home be taken first.
112/16. CARE HOME: The Chairman moved that Standing Orders be suspended to allow the guests and public present to speak on this matter. Inspector Thorley said that he has been at Leek Police Station since July, but has had 20years experience in the Police, but it is his first time as a Community Officer. He went on to say that there have been ongoing issues at the Care Home which is in close proximity to the nearest neighbours. He said that he is aware of the issues that Mr & Mrs Ratcliffe had been experiencing and does not underestimate the distress caused to the family. He went on to say that it is difficult to prove the incidences that are occurring, when it is between two private properties. Mrs Ratcliffe reiterated that the problems are occurring on a daily basis and go on into the night. Inspector Thorley said that he does understand the situation. Following further discussion in which Inspector Thorley gave Mrs Ratcliffe advice on reporting issues and it was agreed that the Police would install a camera so they can try to monitor the situation and also said that it is his intention that each of the 25 Children’s Care Home in the Staffordshire Moorlands is visited each week by an allocated PCSO. The Chairman concluded that there was nothing more that could be done tonight and said she will speak to someone at District Council about this. Inspector Thorley added that they’ve done all they can for the moment. The Chairman thanked the Police for coming along to the meeting.
Standing Orders were resumed.
On proposal by Cllr Stimpson and seconded by Cllr Williams it was agreed unanimously that the minutes for the meeting held on Wednesday 31st August 2016 as being a true record
113/16. MATTERS ARISING
- Foxt Phone Kiosk: The Clerk confirmed that a letter has been sent to Mr Mann to ask if he is still able to repair/paint the kiosk and if not if he could return the glass panel and paint to one of the Foxt Councillors. Cllr Stimpson reported that another person, Mr Pickstock has also offered to repair/paint the kiosk
- Cemetery Gates: The Clerk reported that the person who had painted the Church Gates had since retired. It was agreed to get quotes from other people.
- Hedges at Foxt Community Area: Cllr Stimpson reported that his Hedge Cutting Contractor should be doing the work fairly soon.
- Cemetery Mowing: The Clerk mentioned that a couple of people have said that they don’t think the Cemetery mowing is as good as in previous years. Cllr Richards said she disagrees and thinks that the Contactor has done a good job.
- Crack on Foxt Bank: the Clerk reported that the County Highways have said that it is not currently down for repair but that they are monitoring the situation.
- Bollards on the Bridge at Froghall Wharf: it was noted that these have now been removed.
- Pot Holes, Brookfields Road: The Clerk reported that she has chased up on these pot holes yet again and has pointed out that they were first reported back in February, but they (SCC) have not yet issued a work schedule for these pot holes. It was agreed that as the pot holes are getting very bad and there is the potential for damage to vehicles to include County Councillor Gill Heath in any further communications with the County Highways.
- Crack in Cherry Eye Bridge: The Clerk reported that the Canal and River Trust have said that they are aware of the matter and that they are monitoring the bridge by inspecting it on a monthly basis.
- Rubbish on Canal side near to Cherry Eye Bridge: The Clerk reported that the Canal and River Trust have said that they are monitoring this and find that it comes and goes – but added that the rubbish is actually on private land.
114/16. PLANS: The following planning application had been received: –
SMD/2016/0520 – Proposed erection of a single storey dwelling at Intake Farm, Foxt Road, Foxt. Following a discussion it was proposed by Cllr Williams and seconded by Cllr Barks to support approval of this application. This was agreed unanimously.
- Ofsted & Police re Care Home: Comments had been noted.
- Staffordshire Fire & Rescue re Old Fire Pump: The reply confirmed that they agree that the Old Fire Pump should remain in Ipstones when a suitable location can be found. Cllr Malyon reported that currently the Pump is being stored in the Garage at Hampton Villa, but the owners need the space so it needs to be moved and unfortunately Ipstones Fire Station does not have enough space to accommodate the Pump. Cllr Malyon went on to say that she is meeting with a representative from the Fire Service at Leek Station, and asked if any fellow members would like to accompany her, to discuss short term storage of the Pump at Leek Fire Station while a more permanent location is found.
- SCC re PFP/Bridle Path No 102: A reply sated that they would expect the path to be a minimum width of 2 metres to allow two horses riders to pass. They also said that they would not have funds to contribute to the work. Following a discussion if was agreed to ask if the path can be 1 metre wide with a passing place in the middle, as the path is only a short distance and is used mainly be walkers.
- M Reeves Farm Equipment re Gate to Foxt Community Area: The gate had been inspected and it was found that the wooden post for the larger of the two gates was broken and it was suggested that a steel post would be better for this gate. A quote of £160 plus VAT for the supply and fixing of the Post was enclosed. It was agreed unanimously to accept the quote and to give the go ahead for the job to be done.
- County Councillor Gill Heath re previous request for Horse Rider Warning Signs: Cllr Heath advised that this request was now at the top of her list for doing in the next financial year. She asked for the proposed locations for the signs. It was agreed to liaise with Cllr Morris about this as she made the original request.
- Karen Bradley MP re Superfast Broadband in Staffordshire Moorlands: The reply was read out and it was noted that the Government’s focus is now on those areas in the hardest to reach places in the UK that are not covered by existing plans and that they will also take further action to support the delivery of broadband in rural areas. The letter concluded that she will continue to press on this matter so that Staffordshire Moorlands gets the best deal possible. Cllr Williams mentioned that there is a fault on the cable at the upper end of Foxt and that it shouldn’t be a lot of trouble to put a superfast cable in while they are working there. It was agreed to write to Open Reach and Staffordshire Superfast and ask if they can replace the cable with a superfast cable while they are working there.
- Mr Leeson re Wall in Cart Lane: The reply stated that he had inspected the wall and that there is a natural settlement of the stone wall and although the wall appears to bulge, it is sound and does not lean proud of the original wall foundations. Mr Leeson feels that the privet hedge on the opposite side of the lane is overhanging into the lane and that further up ivy has been allowed to grow which makes the lane very narrow at that point. In conclusion he suggested that the vegetation on the opposite side of the lane needs to be trimmed back and the ivy removed and even if he rebuilt the wall on his side of the road on its original foundations it would not increase the width of the lane. It was agreed to check who is responsible for the wall the ivy grows on and then write to them and the person responsible for the hedge.
- Douglas Macmillan Hospice, Blurton: A letter thanking the parish council for previous support and seeking additional support had been received. It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Stimpson to give a donation of £100 under Section 137 (Miscellaneous Payments). This was agreed unanimously.
- Western Power Distribution re Wayleaves Consent for common land adjacent to Forest Side Farm, Park Nook: A copy of the Wayleave Consent had been received and it was noted that a cheque is to be raised for the amount of wayleaves owing.
- Other circulars, Newsletters, Bulletins etc:-
Clerks & Councils Direst – September Issue
SPCA – Weekly Bulletins – 01/09; 08/09; 15/09 & 22/09
Community Council of Staffordshire – Notice of Annual General Meeting
116/16. MILLENIUM ARCH: The Clerk reported that the person who made the Arch had
been to look at the Arch and said that in his opinion (he is not a Structural
Engineer) that there was more ‘wriggle’ than when it was put up, but he could see
no sign of rot or fungus at the base of the legs and the steel feet looked ok. He said
he would expect a slight movement if the Arch was leant or pushed. However he
did see that one of the pegs used to fix the ‘wishbone’ had shrunk and that there
was a gap, but the wishbone still looked solidly fixed to the main post – he
wondered if this is what the person meant when they said they thought the Arch
was unsafe. Cllr Malyon said she will find out what the person had said to
Mr Wakefield about the Arch.
117/16. CONCLUSION OF ANNUAL AUDIT: The Annual Return had been returned from
the External Auditors and the comments for Section 3 – External auditor
certificate and report 2015/2016 stated: – ‘That there are no matters to report’.
The Chairman gave the Clerk a vote of thanks for preparing the Annual Accounts.
118/16. REMEMBRANCE DAY: It was noted that the Services on Sunday 13th November
are: – Berkhamsytch is at 9.00am and Ipstones at 10.15a.m.
Cllr Malyon offered to do the reading on behalf of the parish council.
The service in the Memorial Hall on Friday 11th November is at 10.30am.
Cllr Malyon declared a personal interest before the donation for the Wreaths and
Poppy Appeal was discussed. It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by
Cllr Williams to donate the sum of £200.00 toward the cost of the Wreaths and
the Poppy Appeal. This is under Section 137 (Miscellaneous Payments). This was
119/16. QUOTES FOR THE ANNUAL INSPECTION OF THE PLAY EQUIPMENT ON FOXT
COMMUNITY AREA: Two prices had been received. It was agreed to instruct
Wicksteed Leisure Ltd to carry out the inspection at a cost of £45 plus VAT.
120/16. REPORT ON MEMORIAL HALL PROJECT: Cllr Malyon reported that unfortunately,
the project is £100,000 over budget and that no local builders had wanted to do
the job – out of 5 tenders sent out only 2 firms had respoonded. So now they
cannot do everything that they had originally planned and they are currently
talking to the Architects about adjustments. Cllr Malyon said she hopes to know
more by the next meeting.
- Belmont Pools: It was agreed to ask the County Highways if they will attend a site visit to discuss issues.
122/16. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- Dog Bins: Cllr Malyon reported that the Dog Bin opposite the Belmont Rd junction had been knocked of it’s post and that the District Council picked it up. The DC are also proposing to replace all ‘Dog’ Bins with normal litterbins, which can also be used for bagged Dog Faeces.
She said she is meeting with someone from the District Council and going to walk round the parish looking at the locations of the existing Dog Bins and asked if any other members would like to join her.
- The Defibrillator at Ipstones Fire Station: Cllr Malyon said she had been wondering if the defibrillator is ever used and if not why not. It was agreed to write to the Chief Fire Officer at Fire HQ.
- Fly Tipping on Foxt Bank: It was noted that there are piles of waste including ‘tins’ on the bank. Cllr Malyon said she will ask the DC to take a look.
- Cemetery Tap: It was noted that the tap had been leaking and that Brian Snow had kindly changed the ‘washer’. He said that the problem occurs when people turn the tap off too tightly, he also offered to turn the water off for the winter. It was noted that Mick Reeves has offered to donate a new tap if it is needed.
- Lengthsman’s Strimmer: The Clerk reported that the Country Store has taken a look at the strimmer and thinks it will be too costly to repair it. It was agreed to get a second opinion on this before purchasing a new strimmer.
- Painted Stones on verge at Town End, Foxt: It was noted that a number of large stones have been placed on the verge in Town End Road, Foxt and that they have been painted with none drying red raggle paint (usually used for sheep). It was agreed to ask the County Council if they will investigate this and remove the stones from the verge.
123/16. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (Net)||167.58|
|Clerk’s Salary (Net)||628.20|
|E-on Energy Solutions Ltd – Street Light Maintenance ( Street
Light at New Houses, Foxt)
|Mr J Hooley for 2 x mows||620.00|
|HMRC – PAYE||5.60|
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 26th October 2016 at 7.00p.m.
in the Rear Extension of Ipstones Memorial Hall