IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 25 April 2018 at 7.30p.m. in the Methodist Church, Ipstones
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Heather James, Linda Malyon (Chair), Howard Mycock, Sandy Richards, Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson & John Williams. The Clerk, 1 x Reporter, 2 x representatives from Aimees Buses, 4 x representatives from Evergreen Care Home and 11 members of the public.
APOLOGIES: None received
DISPENSATIONS: None received
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: To be taken as they arise.
The Chairman moved that agenda item No 9 Buses be taken first
46/18 LOCAL BUS SERVICES: Cllr Malyon welcomed representatives from Aimees Buses and said that she has spoken to the District Council, Leek & Cheadle Town Councils and Kingsley Parish Council in view of holding a joint meeting to come up with a plan and see what support is available. Mr G of Aimees Buses said he needs to have an idea as to when the buses are required. Cllr Malyon replied that there needs to be a morning bus into Leek for students going to Leek College and for people going to work and then another one leaving Leek late in the afternoon with something in the middle of the day. Mr G from Aimees Buses said he has put a proposal to the County Council whereby a public service could be incorporated with the School Bus, which would also include the ‘cross town service’. He said the County Council have not yet responded. A Foxt resident said this is a good idea but doesn’t help people in Foxt. Cllr Malyon asked about the security of the children to which Mr G replied they already do this in another rural area and that it would only be Ipstones people on the bus and that he would ask permission for a CCTV camera on the bus.
Mr G from Aimees said he would need to know what Foxt people need as it may be possible to run a smaller bus i.e. 8 – 12-seater, but there would be no funding to run this service. He also said that if the County Council do go ahead with the School Bus proposal it would only operate in term-time so if the service was to continue during School holidays it would have to be subsidised. Cllr Malyon said the next step is to get a meeting with other councils. Mr G said that when he knows what is required he can get some costings.
Cllr Malyon thanked the representatives from Aimees for coming along and trying to find a solution.
On proposal by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Stimpson it was agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 28 March 2018 as being a true record
47/18. MATTERS ARISING
- Mr Knight: Cllr Malyon said that she had thought about this and thinks the parish council should support Mr Knight (he has been chosen to represent Staffordshire at the World Scout Jamboree in 2019), as the parish council had supported someone several years ago for a similar venture. Standing Orders were suspended to allow the matter to be discussed again. It was proposed by Cllr Malyon and seconded by Cllr James to donate the sum of £100 to his fundraising to cover the cost of the trip under Section 137 – Miscellaneous Payments. This was agreed unanimously.
- Endstone Well, Foxt: Cllr Stimpson advised that the name of the Well was Endstone and not Henstone. He reported that he had met with someone from the District Council Conservation Team and that he had shown them where the Well is situated so it will now be included on the Foxt Conservation Area Plan.
- One-way Road, Foxt: Cllr Stimpson said that the actual ‘No Entry’ signs are only just above the Fox & Goose and really need to be at the end of the road – as drivers not familiar with the road get half way down before they realise that it is ‘One Way’. It was agreed to ask if the signs can be relocated.
- Sign for Parking on Lane at School Green: It was noted that permission will need to be obtained from the owner of the wall before any sign can be erected.
- Grit Bins: It was agreed to chase up with Mr Deaville (SCC) about these.
48/18. PLANS: the following plans had been received: –
SMD/2017/0822 Proposed erection of 2 storey dwelling at Rose Cottage, Foxt Rd, Foxt. (The original plans were also available for inspection). Following inspection of the plans and revised plans it was proposed by Cllr Stevenson to support the application. There was no seconder. A second proposal was made by Cllr Malyon to object to the revised application for the following reasons: – due to the change of position of the property and its elevation being too high; the site would be over developed and unneighbourly: it would also be inappropriate for there to be two accesses opposite each other on a narrow lane. This proposal was carried by 8 votes in favour and 1 against.
SMD/2018/0108 Change of use of C2 (residential school) with the creation of two additional bedrooms to the existing property at Ever Green House, Dog Lane, Ipstones Edge. Cllr Malyon (Chair) suspended Standing Orders to allow members of the public present to speak on this application. Mr Ratcliffe, a neighbour, said he thinks that the applications should be turned down. Cllr Malyon said that she thinks the Home is alright as it is for 6 pupils but that the proposed change of use is an unsuitable development especially as another School is coming further along the road. A representative from the Home explained the history of the Home and previous management issues and what they are planning to do and answered questions raised. It was noted that plan was incorrect due to the curtilage being wrong. It was therefore proposed by Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Shuttleworth that a decision cannot be made until the correct plans have been received. This was agreed unanimously.
- Express Estate agents: Cllr Malyon had a letter that a parishioner had given to her. The parishioner had been concerned to receive a letter asking if they wanted to sell her property and what it was worth. Other members said that it is just junk mail and should be thrown out – other people had had similar letters.
- Churnet Valley Farmers: Cllr Stimpson declared a personal interest in this item and did not take part in the discussion or decision. A letter had been received explaining that the group aims to bring together wild life and farming on a landscape scale, to help conservation and create habitats to our diverse area. It was proposed by Cllr Barks and seconded by Cllr Stevenson to support the group with a donation of £50 under Section 137 (Miscellaneous Payments). This was carried by 8 votes in favour. They also asked if Cllr James would consider being a parish council representative for the group. Cllr James agreed to do this.
- Mr Sutton re Path at Foxt: the letter was read out and it was agreed to reply that previous correspondence has been forwarded to the County Council and that the parish council have not heard anything from the County Council for some time.
- Mrs Perry: The letter had been received concerning the grant request from the Memorial Hall Committee and expressed disappointment at the lack of support for the Memorial Hall which is, in need of urgent repairs and asked how the rest of the precept would be spent. A letter had also been received from Mrs Shuttleworth regarding this. It was proposed from the Chair to write back and thank both ladies for their letters and Cllr Stevenson added that parish councillors do what they think is right at the time, and a lot of parishioners had not wanted the parish council to give any more money to the Memorial Hall. He also said that there is the opportunity for parish councillors to be voted off at election time if people are not happy them.
- Mr Archer: A letter had been received asking if anyone knows where the ‘Search Light’ was sited in Ipstones during the World War II. Enquiries are to be made.
- SCC re Results of Rights of Way Consultation: It was noted that paths have been categorised into ‘A’ ‘B’ & ‘C’ which would see proactive maintenance primarily focus on ‘A’ paths with the exception to this where an issue poses a significant hazard when the County Council will respond straightway, regardless of the paths category. The County Council are hoping that local groups and councils will get involved in maintaining Public Footpaths. It was agreed to ask the County Council the following: – If someone gets injured on a footpath, who will be liable? How much will they save? And will the County Council consider giving some funding to maintenance/repair costs?
- Mr Banks: (Manages the Website): The Clerk had enquired about Security of the Website. Mr Banks’ response was that if the website needs updating to SSL – the development cost would be £65 + the SSL Certificate £45. Then £45 each year (subject to inflation). Mr Banks also quoted £85 for ‘automating the updating of minutes so the Clerk could manage the archiving of older minutes etc. This was noted but no decision made.
- Mr & Mrs Shuttleworth: A thankyou card had been received for the gift for their recent Golden Anniversary.
- Zurich Municipal – Annual Premium: This had been received along with an alternative quote. Cllr Stevenson took the quotes to look through.
- Other Circulars. Newsletters etc: –
Various SPC Association Bulletins NALC – Legal Topic Notes (mainly re Data protection)
50/18. GENERAL DATA PROPROTECTION REGULATION (GDPR): The Clerk reported that she had still not received anything from the County Council regarding arrangements to provide the service of a Data Protection Officer (for a fee). It was thought that we will need to put a privacy notice on the Website. It was noted that there is a training session at the District Council on 3 May. This item is to be placed on the next Agenda.
The Chairman moved that Agenda Item No 15 be taken next (Grave Digging)
51/18. GRAVE DIGGING: The Chairman showed some pictures of Grave that had been dug and how the soil had been piled onto the Grave behind, upsetting the relatives, who keep the grave very tidy and it had also damaged some flowers that had recently been put on the Grave. The area had been made tidy following the interment but relatives were still very unhappy. Following a discussion, it was agreed to write to all Funeral Directors to ask them to ask the Grave Diggers to take more care of adjoining graves when digging a grave. It was also agreed to ask the Mowing Contractor to keep an eye out for any potential problems that may occur in the Cemetery.
52/18. FLAGS: The Clerk had obtained several prices and it was agreed to go with the company with the lower overall price, which was Hampshire Flag Company. It was agreed that both a Union Flag and a St Georges Flag is required for both the Memorial Hall Pole and the Fire Station Pole and a Union Flag for the Foxt Pole. The total price for 5 x Sewn Flags with anti-fray tape together with Postage and excluding VAT is £516.24 plus VAT.
53/18. SPEED SAFETY INITIATIVES: Cllr Shuttleworth had been looking into this and seen a survey that indicated that with Gateway Features, vehicles were found to speed up between the Gateways. He said a possible solution for Ipstones could be a mini roundabout at the end of Belmont Road. Cllr Shuttleworth said that he will do more investigations into this and report back at the next meeting.
54/18. NOTICE BOARD OUTSIDE SHOP: It was noted that this needs painting and that the Shop owner has agreed to paint it when he has the shop painted.
55/18. HIGHWAYS: The following matters were discussed and agreed to: –
- To chase up on the Site visit requested for issues at Froghall Wharf and in Foxt
- To report Blocked Grids between new Cottages and on Johnny’s corner
- To report the road breaking up round a manhole cover near Red Row
- To report 5 large pot holes in Belmont Road
- To ask the Lengthsman to look if he can put an inlet in the verge where it is flooding along Belmont Road.
- Road condition from Park Nook to top of Casey and then down to Winkhill Station
- To ask for Stop Signs on the road down to Winkhill Station.
- To report that many pot holes on Ipstones Edge to Casey, in particular, a large pot hole near to where the masts are.
56/18. PROPOSED EXPENDITURE: Cllr Shuttleworth explained that he had asked for this to go on agenda with the precept going up by 14%, what is the money going to be spent on. Cllr Barks said that we may have to put something to the Bus Services and Public Footpath maintenance, Cllr Stimpson said that at least precept money is spent in the parish. Cllr Malyon said that if/when the precept is increased there needs to be proper ideas as to what the extra is going to be spent on. The Clerk was thanked for preparing the figures.
57/18. QUARTERLY ACCOUNTS REPORT FOR QUARTER ENDED 31 MARCH 2018: Copies of this were given out and the Bank Reconciliation was checked against the Bank Statements.
58/18. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Monthly Payment (Net)||182.16|
|Clerk’s Salary (Net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc Ink Cartridges||29.67|
|Mr M Emery – Mowing||700.00|
|Staffordshire Farm Supplies Ltd for latex gloves for Lengthsman||2.90|
|Staffordshire Parish Councils’ Association – Annual Subscription||352.00|
|CPRE – Annual Subscription||36.00|
|Mr P Knight – donation under S137 – miscellaneous payments||100.00|
|Churnet Valley Farmers – donation under S137 – Misc payments||50.00|
|Ipstones Methodist Church donation for 2 x meetings (1 x parish council meeting and 1 x public meeting – S137 Misc Payments||
The date of the next meeting and AGM was set for Tuesday 22 May 2018
At 7.30 p.m. in the Bloor Suite at the Memorial Hall
The final item was deemed to be treated as CONFIDENTIAL