IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 29 November 2017 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall, Ipstones
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Linda Malyon (Chair), Howard Mycock, Sandy Richards, Andrew Stevenson & John Williams. The Clerk, 1 Reporter & 5 Members of the Public.
3 Guests from Care Today, Evergreen Care Home Manager – Dani Ward, Director – Liam Fitzpatrick and Area Manager – Justin Pomelli.
APOLOGIES: Councillors James (Nee Morris), Shuttleworth and Stimpson
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: To be taken as they arise
DISPENSATIONS: None received
The Chairman introduced the Guests from Care Today, who had come along regarding Evergreen Care Home. The Chairman moved that the first part of the conversation would be treated as CONFIDENTIAL. Following this Standing Orders were suspended to allow Members of the Public present to ask questions/make comment.
Mrs R, a neighbour of Evergreen House said it was all well and good that there is new management but they have seen some of the old staff going in. Mr R added that it is the same Company and that he and his family have been verbally abused and that Staff have done nothing about it. He said that he had heard that a lot of the other homes in the area, run by the same Company, have also had problems. The new Manager, Ms Ward said that she wants to build bridges and address any issues as early as possible to resolve any problems that arise. The Chairman said that we are not just being negative and realise that it is important for all Children to have a chance and a secure place to live. Ms Ward replied that she is trying to get a positive outcome but there will always be negatives. The Director, Mr Fitzpatrick reassured everyone that the previous Manager was no longer in a Managerial position in the Company. Mr R said that after all the years of trouble he and his family have had he doesn’t think that things will alter. The Chairman asked Mr R if he will give the new Manager a chance. The Manager Ms Ward added that she has introduced herself to Mr & Mrs R and is open to discussing any issues with them. The Chairman said it will take a long time for Mr & Mrs R to be convinced as they have had so much trouble since the Care Home was opened. Cllr Barks said he thinks there needs to be better communication. Mr Fitzpatrick said that they have come along to open up the line of communication.
Mr Fitzpatrick suggested having someone to mediate between the Manager and Mr & Mrs R. The Chairman, Cllr Malyon volunteered to act a Mediator and asked that Mr & Mrs R keep a record of any incidents that happen so that she may go to speak to the Manager.
Following further discussions the Chairman said that she would like to bring the matter to a close.
The Chairman thanked all the Guests for attending the meeting
Standing Orders were resumed.
On proposal by Cllr Mycock and seconded by Cllr Barks it was moved that the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 1st November 2017 (October meeting) as being a true record.
116/17. MATTERS ARISING:
- Guest from the Moorlands Hunt: Cllr Stevenson said he thought that it seemed one-sided. Cllr Malyon explained that it appears there are two hunts – one with guns who are poachers and the Moorlands Hunt and that when the hounds run in front they do go on peoples’ land who have not given permission and that people get upset about this. However, Cllr Malyon said she thinks we should give the new Master of the Hunt a chance as he seems eager to speak to all Landowners and gave out his number so that people can ring him if they experience any issues.
With regard to seeing people walking with ‘guns’ on their property, they should phone the Police.
- PFP 102: Cllr Malyon reported that she has sourced a ‘Wacker Plate’. The Clerk reported that the Lengthsman thought that 5 tons of hardcore seemed too much, so it was agreed to ask the County Council for 3 tons of mixed size hardcore down to dust. It was also agreed to ask the Lengthsman to get 2 or 3 bags of cement to mix in with the hardcore so that it sets together better. It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman if he can remove the posts in order that the hardcore can be tipped on the wider part of the path.
- Summer Planting – it was noted that we are still awaiting a quote for this.
- Memorial Copper Beech Tree for the New Church Yard in Foxt: Cllr Mycock said that the new Church Yard has not yet been fenced off – so they are not ready for the Copper Beech Tree yet.
- Dog Bins: Following a site meeting it was noted that the ‘bin’ for Church lane is now going to be placed near to the entrance of Churchfields Court and that the ‘bin’ that is situated outside the Butcher’s Shop is going to be moved to Froghall Road, opposite Belmont Road.
- Damaged Headstone: it was agreed to ask the person to write in.
- The Clerk reported that she had spoken to SMDC about Cllr James change of name and was advised that if this is the only change, she would not have to complete a change of ‘Declaration of Interests’ form unless she wanted to. A copy of the Change of Interests form had been given to Cllr James. Cllr Stevenson proposed that the parish council send a card of congratulations on Cllr James’ recent marriage. This was agreed.
- Bottomhouse Cross Roads: The Clerk reported that she had spoken to the County Council and that they are going out to public consultation regarding the proposed changes at Bottomhouse. It was agreed to send comments in to say that the parish council would like to see the speed limit reduced to ‘40’ mph on both the B5053 and the A523. To say that a precedence was set when the speed limit at Winkhill was reduced to ‘404’ mph.
- Foxt Bank: the Clerk reported that she had chased up on this and that the County Council are currently monitoring the situation.
117/17. PLANS: the following planning application had been received: –
SMD/2017/0743 2 no. proposed log cabins for holiday letting on land behind Stonewalls, Foxt. The Chairman suspended Standing Orders to allow members of the public to speak on this application. One member of the public explained that they had concerns as part of the application was to divert an existing watercourse and this could cause flooding issues on their own property. She had also noted that there isn’t any reference to Disabled Access to the proposed holiday lets.
Standing Order were resumed.
Following a short discussion it was proposed by Cllr Williams and seconded by Cllr Mycock to object to the application with the same reasons as when it was first submitted with the addition of two more reasons. These reasons being: –
- That there is no access from Shay Lane – the only access is along the path in front of the bungalow;
- There are no Services to the site;
- The proposed development would affect the public footpath;
- That the proposed development is adjacent to a SSSI site;
- The development would be visually intrusive;
- If the watercourse is diverted it would cause flooding issues for Park Mill Farm and the Public Footpath and
- that the previous application was refused by the SMDC Planning Department and then was lost at Appeal.
This was agreed unanimously.
- Mr R Barks – a letter of thanks had been received for the Card and Gift presented to him on the occasion of his 100th
- Douglas Macmillan Hospice, Blurton: A letter of thanks had been received for the donation of £100.00.
- SCC M Deaville re Subsidised Bus Journeys: It was noted that following a public consultation, the County Council have withdrawn subsidies for some bus services including the Service that runs through the Ipstones Parish. The Chairman moved to incorporate this with Agenda Item 8. Cllr Malyon reported that she has spoken to Mr Deaville at length about this and that he has agreed to speak with the local Bus Company about this. She added that her husband had recently travelled on the bus and noted that people who produce Bus Passes, did not have them scanned so there is no record of how many people are using the local bus service. It was agreed to invite Cllr Mark Deaville and Cllr Gill Heath to the next meeting.
- SMDC Enforcement Team re the Old Chip Shop: An e-mail advised that they have spoken to the Owner and that they have instructed a Joiner to make new windows and doors. It was noted that some of the new windows have now been put in.
- Leek Samaritans: It was noted that there is to be an open day when the new office is opened.
- Matthew Ellis, Police Commissioner re Interactive Speed Signs: Details of this were noted and it was agreed to find out how much they cost as it may be possible to install one at Bottomhouse.
- SCC re Developing a community based approach – the ‘Highways and Rights of Way – Your Choices’ Website is now live’: it was noted that the Website has been set up to help local councils to explore their options around getting more involved in local environmental tasks. The Website is highwaysyourway.info.
- An e-mail has been received asking if the parish council will consider adding details of the nearest job Centre Plus office onto the parish council’s Website. It was agreed to ask for it to be put on.
- Smaller Authorities Audit Appointments: It was noted that Cleveland and Co. from Durham have been appointed as the External Auditor for Staffordshire.
- Safer neighbourhood Panel: It was noted that the Rural areas of the Moorlands are not well represented on the panel and asked if anyone would be interested in joining the panel.
- Other newsletters, circular etc: – SPC Association – Weekly Bulletins CPRE – Fieldworker – Winter Issue CPRE – Countryside Voice – Winter Issue
119/17. CONGESTION IN HIGH STREET, IPSTONES: Cllr Malyon said she had met with Cllr M Deaville (SCC Cabinet Member for Transport & Highways) regarding concerns about the congestion in High Street caused by parked vehicles and the large number of HGV’s that seem to be using Ipstones as a shortcut. Cllr Malyon said that Cllr Deaville is going to carry out a survey of HGV’s passing through High Street and then he will write to Lorry Firms to ask them to use main road routes that are more suitable for HGV’s. Cllr Stevenson said that the bend (between Marquis & Memorial Hall) is also getting parked up with vehicles making it difficult to get through. It was agreed to write to Cllr Deaville to confirm the outcome of the meeting with Cllr Malyon and to invite him to the next meeting to discuss these issues
120/17. ANNUAL REVIEWS
- Risk Assessment Review: – members were given copies of the current Risk Assessment to look at. The Clerk also read out information from Zurich (Parish Council’s Insurers) which sated that where appropriate to keep written risk assessments for your key activities; Keep written records of your Staff and Volunteer training. For example, manual handling training, or for use of tools and machinery and to abide by any rules, guidelines or advice that is given by any relevant authority, such as a Local Authority or the H & S Executive. Cllr Stevenson said that he knows of someone who carries out this type of training and it was agreed to make enquiries as to costings with view to the Lengthsman undertaking such training. Cllr Williams said he would also be interested in attending a course with the Lengthsman
- Audit/Financial Regulations/ Internal Audit Review: It was agreed that there does not need for any changes to the Audit and Financial Regulatons/Internal Audit .
- Cemetery Fees Review: Following a short discussion it was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Barks not to increase the fees this year but to review again in October 2018. This was agreed unanimously.
- PAT Testing: It was agreed to get the Printer/ Laptop PAT tested.
- Appointment of Independent Internal Auditor: It was agreed to appoint Elizabeth Thompson as the Independent Internal Auditor.
121/17. PROJECTS for 2018/2019 FINANCIAL YEAR: Members were reminded that it would be time to set the Annual precept in January and that they need to consider if there are any projects that they would wish to be included.
- Wall by field on Bends at Foxt: Cllr Williams said that the wall has fallen down and said he will try to find who owns the field so that they can be asked to repair the wall.
- Advertising Signs on the Junctions of B5053 and Foxt Road Junctions with A52 at Froghall: It was noted that some of the signs are hindering the vision of drivers and agreed to report to the District Council.
- Water on the Road, Park Lane (near Ipstones Park Farm): It was agreed to ask the Lengthsman to take a look at the ditch/culvert.
- Parking near to New Cottages, Foxt: Cllr Williams reported that the parked vehicles are now encroaching onto the bend and that it is making it hazardous for traffic to pass the parked vehicles. It was agreed to put a temporary sign to ask people not to park too close to the bend.
- Parking on Road near Park Nook: It was agreed to monitor this.
123/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- ‘No Fly Tipping’ Sign opposite Swineholes Wood: It was noted that the sign has fallen down and agreed to ask the Lengthsman if he can fix it back again.
- Noticeboard on wall of Trading Post: Someone had said that the Noticeboard needed painting. The Clerk said it was last painted when the Shop door/windows were painted (so that it was the same colour). It was agreed to put on the agenda in the spring.
- Clerk’s Laptop: The Clerk reported that she had had problems with the Laptop and that she could no longer access Microsoft Office/Excel and all though she had tried working in ‘Open Office’ after one day, this would not open either. Everything had become very slow with the ‘icon’ twirling and nothing happening it wouldn’t even close down without forcing closure. It was noted that the Laptop is 8 years old. Following a discussion it was agreed that in view of the age of the Laptop, a new Laptop should be purchased up to the value of £500.
- Cemetery Query: The Clerk reported that someone has asked if they can put either a wooden kerb or a chain kerb round three graves that are in the older part of the Cemetery. Following a discussion it was agreed that neither a wooden kerb or Chain edging would be appropriate and that only a kerb in stone or marble would be acceptable.
- Chairman’s Allowance: The Clerk reported that the Chairman’s Allowance is getting low. It was agreed to top this up with £100.00.
124/17. ACCOUTS FOR PAYMENT: the following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment plus 1 extra hour (net)||182.82|
|Clerk’s Salary (net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc ink Cartridges||49.15|
|Mrs L Malyon to reimburse from Chairman’s Allowance for 1 x Diamond Anniversary and gift for Mr Hooley (retired from Mowing)||
The next meeting was set for Wednesday 10th January 2018 (THIS HAS NOW BEEN CHANGED TO TUESDAY 9TH JANUARY 2018 DUE TO NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A VENUE ON 10TH JAN) The meeting is to be held in the Methodist Church Rooms at 7p.m.