IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 22 March 2017 at 7.30p.m. in the rear extension of the Memorial Hall, Ipstones.
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Linda Malyon (Chair), Heather Morris, Howard Mycock, Sandy Richards, Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson and John Williams. The Clerk, 1 x Reporter and 3 x members of the public.
DISPENSATIONS: None received
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: To be taken as they arise.
On proposal by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Morris it was agreed that the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 22 February 2017 as being a true record.
27/17. MATTERS ARISING
- Chief Fire Officer: Cllr Stevenson said that he felt that what the Chief Fire Officer had said was encouraging over the Fire Station
- Foxt Telephone Kiosk: It was agreed for the Foxt members to ask Mr Mann for the replacement ‘panel’. The paint is to be ordered.
- Ipstones Telephone Kiosk: Cllr Malyon advised that someone has volunteered to paint the Ipstones Kiosk. It was agreed to ask for BT’s permission.
- Foxt Play Area: The Clerk reported that Mr Reeves is going to look at the gate and arrange for the post to be re-adjusted but wasn’t sure if the Lengthsman has tightened the screws on the Play Car yet.
- Pot Holes near Churchside Barn: It was noted that these pot holes had not yet been repaired. Cllr Malyon said that she thought the person who had fallen in the pot hole had photos of the injury they had incurred and would ask if they would mind a copy being forwarded to the County Highways.
- The Old Chip Shop: The Clerk reported that the Planning Control Dept have rang to say that they have served notice for the dangerous window to be made safe and for the rubbish outside the property to be moved. The Owner’s Secretary had also phoned to say that the Owner is intending to carryout repair works to the property so that it can be rented out again.
- Belmont Pools: It was noted that work is being carried out on the top pool, and that trenches are being dug out to carry the water through a culvert.
- Moorlands Hospital: Cllr Malyon said that she thinks that beds will be moved and that she had heard that Paramedics have been told that they will have to work from Stoke and not the Moorlands.
- Summer Planting: It was agreed to check how many barrels (cost £30) are needed and for the Clerk or the Lengthsman to go JTF to purchase them.
- ‘The Hunt’: The Clerk said that she has now managed to find a contact to write to.
- Report on Memorial Hall Project: Cllr Morris expressed concern that the planning application is in for the parish council to make comment on when people of the village have not had chance to comment on the latest set of plans. Cllr Malyon said that the Hall Committee are made up of representatives from village organisations and that they need to get on with the project as all the delays is costing more money. Cllr Richards said that she agreed with Cllr Morris. Cllr Shuttleworth said the plans will go on display in the Memorial Hall and that it is really a matter for the Memorial Hall Committee to decide. It was agreed that the plans will initially go on display on 4th April between 1.30p.m. and 4.00p.m. to coincide with a Coffee afternoon and then they will remain on display. It was agreed to put a notice on the parish council notice board.
28/17. PLANS: The following planning applications had been received: –
SMD/2017/0049 Erection of a shed for storage of tools and equipment at Land South of Gate Farm, Foxt It was proposed by Cllr Mycock and seconded by Cllr Morris to object to the application because it would be inappropriate development and there is not enough land to warrant a shed. This was carried by three members voting in favour of the proposal and 4 members abstaining from voting.
SMD/2017/0103 proposed internal alterations to existing memorial hall and creating a new extension to form new kitchen and bar area and doctors surgery at Ipstones Memorial Hall. Following discussion it was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Mycock to support this application. This was carried by 6 votes in favour and 2 members abstaining to vote.
The Chairman moved that Agenda Item No 7 be brought forward.
29/17. Resurfacing PF102 (Bridle path between Church Lane and Belmont Road): Estimates had been issued to the 2 x properties on either side of the PFP, Church Lane end for the areas outside their properties to be tarmacked and joined to the Centre part for which the parish council had a quote for. The Chairman said that looking at maps the land does not belong to either of the properties and in the past has always been resurfaced by the County Council. The Chairman suggested that the parish council pay for the whole area at the top of PFP102 to be resurfaced with tarmac (the part further down is to be resurfaced with hard core). This would cost an extra £1300 on top of the quote the parish council had previously accepted subject to the two side areas being also tarmacked. Following a discussion it was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Morris to incorporate the two sides at the extra cost of £1300. This was agreed unanimously. It was also agreed that there should be a ‘bollard’ at either end of the lower section of the path to stop vehicles from driving down the PFP. It was also suggested that if the parish council are going to pay for future maintenance of the PFP that steps could be taken to adopt it – this is to be discussed at a future agenda.
- Lengthsman’s Report (December & January): Details of the reports were noted.
- Marcus Warnes, Accountable Officer, NS CCG re future of Moorlands Hospital: The reply was read out. Members still expressed concern over the future of Care for the Elderly if beds are taken from the Moorlands Hospital so it was agreed to invite Mr Warnes to the next meeting.
- Mr Sutton, Foxt re Verges on Town end Road: The letter was read out and the enclosed pictures looked at. Cllr Stimpson said that Mr Sutton does keep the verges very tidy and that there is no need for vehicles to drive over the verge. It was agreed to forward the letter to Mark Deaville, Cabinet Support Member for Highways to ask if there is anything the County Council can do. Mr Sutton is to be advised of this.
- Ros Philips re Plant on Grave: An e-mail advised that a shrub had been planted on a grave and they wondered if it should have been done. Ms Philips advised that if the parish council wish to remove the plant they can and plant it in a more suitable location. It was agreed to reply that parish councillors will look and let her know what the best course of action is.
- Zurich Municipal: An e-mail had been received asking for information before they issue the next renewal amount. It was agreed for the Clerk to deal with this.
- SMDC re Survey on Playing Fields etc: Cllr Shuttleworth agreed to complete this.
- DEFRA – ‘Report Survey 2016/2017’ : Cllr Williams agreed to complete this for Foxt.
- Staffordshire Fire and Rescue re Legal and Illegal Waste Sites: Details of their plan for dealing with these waste sites had been received.
- County Councillor Gill Heath re Horse Rider Warning Signs: An e-mail advised that Clllr Heath could not get a reduction in the cost of providing/installing the signs and therefore she would pay for six of the eight proposed signs. It was agreed unanimously for the parish council to pay for the remaining two signs at £400.oo each.
- Other circulars, topic notes etc: –
SPC Assc – Weekly Bulletins for 23/02; 02/03; 09/03 and 16/03
Clerks & Councils Direct – March 2017 Issue
NALC – Legal Topic Briefing – LO71 – Section 137 Expenditure Limit for 2017/18
NALC – Legal Topic Note – LTN 5 – Parish & Community Council Meetings
SM Parish Assembly – SCC updates
31/17. QUOTES FOR PAINTING THE CEMETERY GATES AND BIER SHED: Two quotes had been received for the work. Cllr Stevenson declared an interest and did not take part in the discussion or decision on this matter. It was agreed unanimously to select the cheaper of the two quotes which was from Mr M Emery and was for £620.00.
32/17. NEW CREMATED ASHES SECTION: Two different proposed layout of the plots were, presented to the parish council. It was agreed to go for the option Plan 2 and to number the rows A, B C etc.
33/17. STORAGE ON BOLTON’S SITE: A query had been raised about what is being stored on the Bolton’s Site. It was noted that an e-mail from the Planning Enforcement Officer that had been received on 22nd August 2016 had stated that the crates contain machinery parts for helicopters e.g. rotor blades and tail parts and that there is also clothes that is recycled as rags. None of the crates contain anything relating to explosives, ammunition or chemicals.
34/17. REQUEST FOR LITTERBIN AT ABOVE CHURCH, IPSTONES: It was noted that a local resident had requested this as some dog walkers are putting bags of dog faeces in their own private bin as they walk past their property. It was proposed that the bin could be sited in the corner near to No 68. It was agreed to write to the DC with this request and to also remind them that they have not yet replaced the bin on Froghall Road (opposite Belmont Road) and along Church Lane, just past the Memorial Hall.
35/17. TO AUTHORISE CONTRIBUTION TO THE COST OF HIRING THE HALL FOR THE TWICE WEEKLY DOCTORS BRANCH SURGERIES IN THE MEMORIAL HALL, IPSTONES: It was agreed unanimously to authorise the sum of £156 (£1.50 per session) under S 137 Miscellaneous Payments for the year April 2016 to March 2017 inclusive.
36/17. LENGTHSMAN’s CONTRACT FOR APRIL 2017 TO MARCH 2018: The Lengthsman had returned 2 x signed copies of the Contract which were signed by the Chairman on behalf of the Parish Council. One copy to be returned to Lengthsman and one copy to be retained by the Parish Council.
- Foxt Road, Froghall (between Lime Kilns and A52): It was noted that nothing has yet been done about the 18” drop on the edge of the carriageway and agreed to remind the County Highways that this is getting worse and is dangerous.
- Pot Hole, Belmont Road (near to Dog Bin): It was agreed to report this.
- Culvert on Froghall Road, B5053 on south side of Ipstones: it was noted that the County Highways have done a very good job of this.
- Water on the Road: It was reported that following recent heavy rain there had been a lot of water on the road near to Rock House, Park Lane and at Whirley Low (but this was not as bad as it had been previously) and on Froghall Bank (B5053).
- Road up to Whitehough: It was agreed to report that there are a lot pot holes/rough areas on this road and agreed to report to the County Highways
- Pot Holes on the Junction of B5053/A52: It was agreed to report that there are several large pot holes on the junction.
38/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- It was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Morris to give a donation for the sum of £100 to The Royal Airforce Association Leek Division in Memory of the late John Bates OBE, and in recognition of all the work he has done for the Ipstones Community. This was authorised under Section 137 miscellaneous payments. This was agreed unanimously.
- It was noted that Sally Bentley is moving from her role as Community Grants Officer and it was agreed to send a letter of thanks for all the support that she gave in sourcing grants for the various projects.
- Millennium Arch: It was noted that the repair work has not been carried out yet and that all the safety tape is falling down. Cllr Mycock said that he sees the Joiner and will ask him when the work is to be carried out.
- Union Flag: It was agreed to order a new Union Flag for the Memorial Hall Pole. It was also noted that the Key to the lanyard door is missing.
- Moles in the Cemetery: It was agreed to ask Mr Sumner if he can take a look.
- School Governors: It was noted that Cllr Morris the parish council representative on the Governors is no longer able to make the Governors meetings and it was agreed that Cllr Shuttleworth will replace Cllr Morris as the parish council representative.
- Printer: The Clerk reported that she is having problems with the printer, which is not always printing clearly. Cllr Morris said that she has a printer at home that she does not use and parish council could have it and see if it is suitable.
39/17. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Net Payment||167.58|
|Clerk’s Net Salary||628.20|
|Clerk’s Expenses Inc Ink Cartridges||39.45|
|HMRC – final quarter PAYE for Tax year 2016/17||5.40|
|The Royal Airforce Association Leek Branch – Donation authorised under Section 137, Miscellaneous Payments in Memory of the late Mr John Bates OBE||100.00|
The date of the next meeting (April) was set for Tuesday 2nd May 2017 at 7.30p.m. In the Extension of the Memorial Hall, Ipstones
The last agenda item was deemed to be treated as CONFIDENTIAL