Please note that there was not a meeting in December 2017. The meeting was held on 9th January 2018 and then the January meeting was held on 31 January 2018. Both sets of the minutes will appear under January 2018.
HOWEVER UNTIL THE 2018 SECTION IS UP THE MINUTES FOR 9TH JANUARY 2018 ARE DISPLAYED HERE.
IPSTONES PARISH COUNIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 9th January 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Methodist Church Sunday School Rooms, Ipstones
PRESENT: Councillors Heather James, Linda Malyon (Chair), Andrew Stevenson, Patrick Stimpson & John Williams. The Clerk, 1 x reporter, 3 x Members of The Public and Guests: County Councillors mark Deaville and Gill Heath
APOLOGIES: Councillors Barks, Mycock, Richards & Shuttleworth
The Chairman welcomed County Councillor Mark Deaville, Cabinet Member for Transport & Highways, who had come along to discuss Highway Issues and Local Bus Services.
Gritting – Cllr Malyon ask Cllr Deaville about gritting in the recent cold weather and said that not all the grit piles had been restocked. Cllr Deaville asked why there are no Grit Bins in the parish and said he would try to get some as he thinks that there are several locations that would qualify for a grit bin. He went on to say that we would still have the grit piles and he will ask for them to be restocked but added that they are trying to get the message out for people not to pinch grit from piles for their own personal use.
Cllr James asked why, when the Snow has stopped falling they do not treat/plough side roads such as Church Lane and Brookfields Road. She said that there should be room to get the gritter down Brookfields Road, as the brewery Lorry always manages to get down. Cllr James added that Church Lane, near the junction with Clerks Bank gets very icy with all the water that runs on the road there. Cllr Deaville said he’ll talk to the local Highways Inspector about this but said they are probably not treated as they are not on a primary or secondary route and added that there are over 1500 mile of roads in Staffordshire, so they must stick to the primary/secondary routes.
Cllr Stevenson said that the Road sweeper needs to visit Church Lane. Cllr Malyon agreed to report this to the District Council.
Kerbing, near New Cottages, Foxt -Cllr Stimpson mentioned that the kerbing that had been done needed to be extended as vehicles parking on the verge higher up are bringing mud onto the road which washes down and blocks the drain. Cllr Deaville agreed to meet with Cllr Stimpson to look at the issue.
Blocked Culvert, Park Lane – Cllr Deaville said he will have a word with the Highways team and ask them to jet it. Cllr James said that someone had told her that they don’t think the pipe is big enough.
Cllr Malyon also asked Cllr Deaville about a flooding issue on Apesford Road (Bradnop Parish).
Bottomhouse Cross Roads – Cllr Malyon reported that there had been another three accidents at the Cross Roads and wondered when the work to improve the signage/reduce the speed limit is to be done. The Clerk explained that Mr Leaning from the SCC is currently doing a public consultation for the improvement scheme but that this does not include a speed reduction on the A523 only on the B5053, which is to be reduced to ‘50’ mph. Cllr Deaville said he will speak with Mr Leaning about this.
HGV’s using Ipstones as a short cut – Cllr Malyon asked Mr Deaville about this as it is causing problems on High Street. Mr Deaville said that this is a problem for many rural villages as Staffordshire as many Quarries/large business that are vital to the local economy and for jobs and that mainly local people are understanding of this. He said that they have real issues on the A515 at Yoxall and that they have established a ‘Freight Forum’ to get the Freight Companies and Local Councils round the table to discuss the best ways to address these issues and he suggested that representatives from Ipstones also join this forum to discuss the issues being experienced and to try to find a solution to the issue. He said that local Quarries and Firm tend to want to work with the Council to resolve any issues. Cllr Deaville said he will let Ipstones PC know when the next meeting is.
Pot Holes etc – Cllr James said that when pot holes are being repaired they are not doing a proper job and at the first frost the tarmac is coming out. Cllr Deaville agreed and said that they are now doing more to get it right first time and are asking Gangs to work on ‘areas’ rather than on just the pot holes that have been reported. Potholes in Shay Lane, bottom of Clerk’s Bank, Foxt Bank, Casey Bank and sides of the roads at Park Nook were mentioned. Cllr Malyon agreed to e-mail Cllr Deaville with the details. Cllr Deaville said it is best to prioritise ’pot holes etc’ when reporting.
Local Bus Service – Cllr Malyon explained to Cllr Deaville that Ipstones & Foxt cannot afford to lose the local bus services as it is a vital service for the villages. Cllr Deaville said this issue is being discussed all the time with Bus Companies, District Councils, Parish Councils and local Taxi Companies trying to find some solutions and that Ipstones and Foxt (Leek to Cheadle Service) is high on the list.
Cllr Malyon thanked Cllr Deaville for coming to the meeting.
The normal meeting was commenced.
DECLARATION OF INTEREST: To be taken as they arise.
DISPENSATIONS: None received.
On proposal by Cllr Williams and seconded by Cllr Stevenson it was moved that the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 29 November 2017 to be a true record.
01/18. MATTERS ARISING
- Care Home, Ipstones Edge: Cllr Malyon reported that she had made an unannounced visit to the Care Home and at the time there was only one child there but understands that there are now a couple more there. She said everything seemed fine at the moment.
- PFP 102: The Clerk reported that she had been unable to get in touch with the Person dealing with this but will keep trying. (re SCC providing some hardcore).
- Dog Bins: it was noted that a bin has now been installed near to Churchfield Court and the bin from outside the Butchers Shop has been moved to Froghall Road on the verge opposite Belmont Road.
02/18. PLANS: The following planning applications had been received: –
SMD/2017/0764 Application for the removal of Condition no 3 on planning application SMD/2003/0415 to enable the properties to be used as dwelling rather than holiday cottages at Rock House Farm, Town End Road, Foxt. Cllrs Stimpson and Williams declared a prejudicial interest in this application. This left the council not quorate, therefore the planning application could not be discussed/voted on.
SMD/2017/0822 Proposed erection of 2 storey dwelling at Rose Cottage, Foxt Road, Foxt. An e-mail from the applicant was read out. Following a short discussion it was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr James to support approval of the application. This was agreed unanimously.
- Mr & Mrs Collier: An e-mail thanking the parish council for the Card and Gift that was presented to them for their Diamond Wedding Anniversary had been received.
- Lengthsman’s Reports (Oct, Nov & Dec): Details of the reports were noted.
- S J Bargh Ltd re Milk Tanker parking on pavement outside Bolton’s Site: The letter advised that they have spoken to their drivers about this. Cllr James said that the Milk Tanker seems to be parking in another location now.
- Parking on pavement in High Street: An e-mail had been received from a resident advising that there is a vehicle that regularly parks on the pavement in front of 16a High Street forcing people to walk into the road at that narrow point. Following a discussion, it was agreed to reply that this is an ongoing problem and that the County Council are currently looking at parking and HGV issues on High Street.
- SCC re ‘Consultation on Speed Limit at Bottomhouse’: An e-mail advised that public consultation period is from 24 January to 14 February.
- The Clerk reported a telephone conversation with The Master of the Moorlands Hunt: The Master of the Moorlands Hunt said that he was unhappy about the meeting which his Joint Master of the Moorlands Hunt attended. He said he felt that they had been set up for an Anti-Hunt protest for which they were not prepared. He said that they were unaware that the Police would be present. The clerk had explained that it had not been a setup, the invitation to the meeting had been made due to concerns raised by some landowners and the Police had been invited at short notice regarding another matter. The Clerk had said that she thought that some positives had come out of the meeting. The Chairman said she thought it had been a fair meeting and said she will ring both Joint Masters of the Hunt to speak with them.
County Councillor Heath arrived so remaining correspondence to be read later in meeting.
Bottomhouse Speed Limit Consultation. Cllr Heath said that there aren’t enough accident criteria for the speed limit to be reduced to ‘40’ mph, but there is going to be improvements with signage etc on the B5053 approach to the Cross Roads.
Bus Services: Cllr Heath said that they (SCC) are in discussion with the Operators etc and are trying to find a solution – but it would be a reduced service.
Pot Holes: Cllr Heath took note of the pot holes/kerbing in Foxt/blocked culvert in Park Lane that had been mentioned earlier in the meeting.
SCC re Grading of Public Footpaths: Cllr Heath said that all public footpaths are to be graded and that one’s graded ‘A’ would take priority for repair/improvement works. She went on to say that parish councils can do work on other public footpaths where possible.
Libraries: Cllr Heath said that there is a consultation on the 23 Libraries in the County which ends on 1st April. She said that the Library in Cheadle is one of the least used Libraries and that they are looking to see if it can be a Community Library.
Countryside Estates: Cllr Heath said that they have started charging for parking on some of the Country Estates and that the Control of Deer has been ‘contracted out’ to try to save some money. If these measures don’t work, Cllr Heath said they will to go out to see if any Community Groups are willing to take on the running of some of the Estates on.
The Chairman thanked Cllr Heath for coming along.
03/18. CORRESPONDENCE/COMMUNICATIONS resumed
- Community Council of Staffordshire re best Kept Village Competition: It was agreed not to enter this year.
- Police Commissioner re Council Tax: the letter asked if parish councils would consider supporting an extra increase of 2% in Council Tax to give the Police a bigger budget. In a discussion it was agreed that it probably wouldn’t make any difference to the policing of the rural areas so not to support this.
- Other Circulars. Newsletters etc
SPC Assc. – weekly bulletins Councils & Clerks Direct – January Issue
04/18. LENGTHSMAN’s SCHEME: It was agreed to continue with this for the financial year 2018/2019.
05/18. TRAINING AND RISKS ASSESSMENTS FOR LENGTHSMAN AND VOLUNTEERS: Information had been received regarding Manual Handling and Mowing Equipment Training for the Lengthsman and Volunteer mowers. It was also noted that it is recommended that there is a proper Risk Assessment/Method Statement prepared. It was agreed to put this as an agenda item for the next meeting.
06/18. REPLACEMENT PLAY EQUIPMENT FOR MEMORIAL HALL RECREATION FIELD: Cllr Malyon reported that some of the play equipment is either broken or in need of replacing and they would like to incorporate something suitable for Disabled Children to use. She said that the Hall Committee have £5300 toward the cost and that they are trying to source other grants to help pay for the equipment, but wondered if the parish council would consider making a grant/donation toward the cost. No decision was made on this.
07/18. ANNUAL SERVICING OF MOWING EQUIPMENT AND LEAF BLOWER: The Clerk had contacted two local firms and the prices were read out. It was proposed by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr James to go with the cheaper verbal estimate which was from The Countrystore and was for £35.00 plus VAT for the Mower and £15 plus VAT each for the Strimmers and £15 to £20 Plus VAT for the Leaf Blower. The service would include parts such as plugs, air filters if needed but any other parts needed would be extra. This was agreed unanimously.
08/18. ANNUAL PRECEPT: Members had each received a copy of the calculation of the estimated YE balance and estimated expenditure for the year 2018/2019 (based on current year’s expenditure) in which the Clerk had stated that in her own opinion the precept could remain at 0% increase unless there are any other projects/expenditure members wish to consider, but that members may have to consider a rise is future years. Following a discussion in which it was mentioned that there may be extra expenditure for maintenance of some public footpaths/bus services/play equipment. Cllr Stimpson said he thought that the precept should be increased because the parish precept is spent in the parish. On proposal by Cllr James and seconded by Cllr Williams it was resolved to ask for an extra £3000.00 to bring the total of the precept to £23244.98. This was agreed unanimously. (N.B. The precept was not increased last year).
09/18. GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION: The Clerk reported that this will become law on 25th May 2018 and that it seems that parish councils will have to appoint a Data Protection Officer. This cannot be the Clerk or Responsible Financial Officer, but it does need to be someone who has knowledge of the Data Protection Laws. The Clerk reported that at a meeting she went to at the County Council (arranged by SPC Association) they did talk about possibility of there being an Officer at the County Council who could provide this service for parish councils who wanted this – there would be a fee for this. It was agreed to but this as an agenda item for the next meeting(s).
- Old Reflector Posts: Cllr Stevenson reported that he has noticed that when some reflector posts were replaced on Froghall Bank – the old posts have been left at the side of the road. It was agreed to report this to the County Highways.
11/18. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT:
- NHS Waiting Times: Cllr James said that on New Year’s Eve morning one of the players at a Charity Football Match taking place on the Memorial Hall Recreation Ground sustained a serious leg injury and had to wait 4 hours for an Ambulance to arrive as there was none available. The casualty was outside in the cold and was in extreme pain. It was reported that Ambulances were queueing outside A & E waiting to handover patients and that the A & E Department is stretched with patients waiting in corridors. Cllr James says that Christmas & New Year happen every year and proposed that the parish council write to someone about this unacceptable situation. Cllr Malyon said that she had messaged our local MP, Karen Bradley, but had not heard back from her. Cllr James said we should be saying that it is unacceptable for patients, Paramedics or frontline staff to be put in this situation and that it is just down to bad management. Another contributing factor is ‘bed blocking’ which has been made worse by the closure of local community beds. It was agreed to write to the Secretary of State for Health, the Shadow Secretary for Health, Karen Bradley MP and Mr Warnes Chief Officer of the North Staffs Clinical Commissioning Group about these issues.
- Traffic Cones: The Clerk reported that the Lengthsman would like about 5 or 6 Traffic cones as the ones he has are in bad shape. It was agreed to see the County Council might have some spare and if not to purchase some.
12/18. QUARTERLY ACCOUNTS REPORT: Members had received a copy of the report and Bank Statements were available for them to check the bank reconciliation. It was agreed to accept the report as a true record.
13/18. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (Dec) (Net)||174.51|
|Clerk’s Salary (Dec) ( Net)||630.00|
|To reimburse Clerk for purchase of new Lap Top. Office 365 & Mouse||
|W H Leeson for replacing stop Tap in Cemetery||31.50|
|Staffordshire Farm Supplies Ltd (Air Filter for Leaf Blower)||16.00|
|Ipstones Memorial Hall for meeting on 29.11.2017||16.00|
|Ipstones Methodist Church – donation for use of Sunday School Rooms for Meeting on 09.01.2018 – S137 (Miscellaneous Pyments)||
The date of the next meeting was set for Wednesday 31 January 2018 at 7.00p.m. in the Methodist Church Sunday School Room.