IPSTONES PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2nd May 2017 at 7.30 p.m. in the rear extension of Ipstones Memorial Hall.
PRESENT: Councillors Philip Barks, Linda Malyon (Chair), Heather Morris, Howard Mycock, Barry Shuttleworth, Andrew Stevenson and Patrick Stimpson. The Clerk, 1 x reporter and 3 x members of the public and guest Mr Marcus Warnes from the North Staffs Clinical Commissioning Group.
APOLOGIES: Councillors Sandy Richards and John Williams
DECLARATION OF INTERESTS: It was agreed to take these as they arise.
DISPENSATIONS: None received
41/17. GUEST: Mr Warnes from North Staffs Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) re Future of Moorlands Hospital: The Chairman welcomed Mr Warnes to the meeting. Mr Warnes said that there has been a lot of interest in the future of all the Community Hospitals in the North Staffs area and explained at this point he will not be able to answer all the questions. He went on to say that Leek is one of five which commission a range of services. Mr Warnes explained that there are more people transferred to a Community bed in the North Staffordshire area than in other areas. He went on to say that of the people currently in a bed at the Moorlands Hospital only 5 were from Leek, 2 from Cheadle and the rest from Stoke on Trent. He said that the County Council have the resources for North Staffs residents to go home and that as more services come on stream – more people will go home from the acute Hospitals rather than to a Community Hospital. He said beds at leek will become empty as more people are discharged straight to their own homes but the services provided at Leek will remain. Mr Warnes went on to say that no decision has been made on the Leek Hospital yet, but this doesn’t mean that beds won’t be empty. He said there will be a consultation on the other services provided.
Cllr Malyon asked if the consultation is just a paper exercise as it all seems about money. She said that support in the home is useless as Carers only get 15/20 minutes per visit 3 or 4 times a day. Cllr Barks added that it takes a long time to get a Care Package in place. Cllr Morris added that Domiciliary Care is continually undercutting to get contracts that they are unable to keep workers due to low wages, so the service is not good. Mr Warnes said that Councils provide the money for domiciliary care. He added that the Royal Stoke University Hospital Trust has a huge deficit and that Staffordshire is one of the most challenged counties in England. He said that the CCG are always trying to find ways to reduce overheads and that they are considering merging the SSCCG with the NSCCG to help cut admin costs.
Mr Warnes explained that to keep someone is a hospital bed it costs £2100 per week; in a nursing home it costs around £800 pw; in a residential home it costs around £600 pw and in their own home £375 pw.
The conversation continued about whether care in the Community is adequate and budgets etc. Cllr Malyon asked Mr Warnes if Paramedics/Ambulance based in Leek as it seems to take a long time to respond to some calls. Mr Warnes response was that there is an Ambulance presence in Leek except when that Ambulance is out on a call or transporting someone to a Hospital. He said that Stoke generates more 999 calls than Birmingham. Generally speaking they don’t have ambulances waiting at Stoke as there is quite a quick turnaround. A paramedic present said that they spend very little time in the Moorlands and that they are not being covered while the Crew are out of the Moorlands. Mr Warnes said that there is urgent cover for the Moorlands but at times of high demand people may have to wait. The paramedic responded that it is putting people’s lives at risk and asked if they could provide a paramedic on a more permanent basis. Mr Warnes said he can’t make any promises.
The Chairman thanked Mr Warnes for coming along.
On proposal by Cllr Stevenson and seconded by Cllr Mycock the minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 22nd March were agreed to be a true record.
42/17. MATTERS ARISING:
- Foxt Kiosk: The Clerk reported that the paint will be ordered. No-one was able to confirm whether Mr Mann still had the replacement panel.
- Ipstones Kiosk: The Clerk reported that she had spoken to BT, who were going to find out if the parish council can arrange the painting of the kiosk – but they had not got back about it. It was agreed to chase up on this.
- Belmont Pools: It was noted that work seems to have stopped and that the rubbish, fallen tree or bollards had not yet been moved. It was agreed to speak to the local County Council Inspector about this.
- The Moorlands Hunt: Following a letter sent to the Secretary of the Moorland Hunt. The Hunt Master had telephone the Clerk and advised that he had managed to speak to 29 of the 31 Landowners whose land the Hunt had gone on. He said that the Moorlands Hunt does not carry guns, so if people were seen with guns it was not the Moorlands Hunt. Cllr Morris said that she knows of several land owners who had not been contacted. It was agreed to invite The Hunt Master to a meeting so that the issues raised can be discussed fully.
- The Memorial Hall Project: Cllr Malyon reported that the work has now gone out to tender and that she will keep members up to date with progress. Cllr Stevenson asked what feedback the Hall Committee had received about the most recent set of plans and said he wondered if it was a good idea to change the heating to infra-red heating as an Electrician had said he isn’t keen on this type of heating. Cllr Malyon said that they have had expert advice on this and have been told the infra-red heating will save on future heating bills.
Cllr Stimpson arrived
- Resurfacing of PFP 102: Cllr Barks said that a couple of parishioners had complained about the work and cost of this. It was noted that work had not yet been completed and that when it has been it should make a big difference to the safety of the path and make it more usable for all parishioners.
- Horse Rider Warning Signs: The Clerk reported that the County Council have been in touch about the proposed locations of these signs.
- Foxt Road, Froghall: Cllr Stimpson reported that this is getting worse and that a vehicle had had its wheel stuck in the deep rut at the side of the road. It was agreed to ask the County Council yet again if they can treat this as urgent.
- Repair to Millennium Arch: Cllr Malyon said she had seen Mr Tomkinson and he said he will carry out the repairs soon.
- Union Flag for Memorial Hall: the Clerk confirmed that the flag will be ordered.
- Moles in Cemetery: The Clerk reported that she had not been able to speak to Mr Sumner, but had left a message on his answer phone. Cllr Malyon said she has seen him and he had been to the Cemetery to look at the problem.
- Gate at Foxt Community Area: It was noted that the Gate is off and that the post is on the floor. The Clerk said that the Contractor is going to readjust the pole at sometime and that is probably why the gate is off at the moment.
PLANS – none received.
- Mr & Mrs B Scragg – a thank you card had been received for the gift given to them on the occasion of their Diamond Wedding Anniversary.
- Lengthsman’s Report (Feb & Mar): Details of these were noted.
- A Robinson re meetings: An enquiry had been made as to the date of the April meeting as several residents from Winkhill were keen to attend. The Clerk confirmed that she had e-mailed the details to Ms Robinson.
- SCC re Pot Hole near Church Side Barn: A letter stated that safety using the public highway is of the utmost importance to the County Council. The letter stated the work is currently being scheduled. A separate e-mail to the Chairman stated that the work would be carried out as soon as there is a team available in the area.
- Dean Goodwin ‘Selfie Services’: An e-mail stated that it had been great to catch up with the parish council again and added that if the parish council have any projects he can help with, them he will be happy to offer his support.
- Plant on Grave: An e-mail had been received giving details of type of plant etc and stating that the parish council can relocate the plant. Ms Philips said she will be happy with whatever the parish council decide to do. It was agreed to take a look when members have a site visit to the Cemetery in June.
- Cllr John Williams re various: An e-mail had been received, firstly giving apologies for tonight’s meeting and then raising several issues: –
- Planter Conditions – notified to Clerk (2 half barrels need replacing in Foxt)
- Foxt Telephone Kiosk – Cllr Williams had not managed to see Mr Mann to find out if he still has the replacement panel for the Kiosk.
- Foxt Play Area – Cllr Williams said that most children love slides and he would recommend the purchase and installation of suitable slide for the village children.
- Parking on Foxt Road (above New Cottages), he said that the parking now extends to the footpath (Pig Lane) and people driving uphill towards the Fox and Goose don’t always perceive the danger of vehicles on the right hand side of the road proceeding downhill. Cllr Williams said he had recently had a close call and suggested asking for double yellow lines on the bend itself. It was agreed to ask the Highways Inspector for a site visit.
- Cllr Malyon: In an e-mail, Cllr Malyon asked if letters can be sent to the local businesses in the centre of the village asking if they will instruct delivery vehicles not to turn round in front of the Grove but to go further along Church Lane and maybe turn in Daisy Avenue or someone else suggested could they also turn in Church Meadow. This was agreed.
- SMDC re Dog Bins in Ipstones: A reply stated that they have a standard monitoring procedure to see if a site meets the criteria for a litterbin and they suggested that the litterbin that is due to be replaced near the village hall, is placed further along Church Lane (at Stocksgreen, on corner opposite Churchfield Court) as this would also be closer to No 68. It was agreed to respond that there are usually vehicles parked around the corner that they suggest and that we would like a litterbin situated near to No 68 Church Lane, and then to replace the litterbin which was originally situated between No 15 & No 23 Church Lane and the one that was on Froghall Road (opposite the Junction with Belmont Road).
- SMDC re Internet Report in Parish: the e-mail advised that they are formulating a report to show the internet access in the community. It was agreed to respond that internet and advice is available at Café Connect on Mondays and Thursdays.
- Support Staffordshire: re Open Day at Bank House: Details of this were noted.
- SCC re Community Paths Initiative: Details of this were noted.
- Other Newsletters etc : –
CPRE – Field Worker – Spring Issue
CPRE – Countryside Voice – Spring Issue
44/17. ANNUAL RETURN – SECTION 1 – ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT 2016/2017:
Members had each had a copy of the questions. Each question was addressed individually and it was agreed unanimously to answer ‘yes’ to all the questions 1 to 9.
It was noted that the Annual Accounts are to be submitted to the Independent Internal Auditor next week.
45/17. HEATHLAND AT CASEY: Cllr Stevenson said he has noticed that the heathland has been burned off. It was also noted that some of the verges going down toward Foxt had also been burned off – it looked like it had been a controlled ‘burn’ rather than a wild fire. It was agreed for the Clerk to ask at the Fire Station to see if they had heard anything.
46/17. HIGHWAYS: The following highway issues are to be reported/chased up on: –
- Pot Hole by Crow Gutter Farm
- Streetlight Box No 10 Church Lane – the door is open.
- Public Footpath that emerges onto Stocksgreen – a piece of iron is sticking up next to the stile. The lengthsman had tried to knock it in but it wouldn’t budge. It was agreed to ask him to try sawing it off, but if he couldn’t then to cover it with
47/17. ANY OTHER BUSINESS DEEMED URGENT
- Cemetery Mowing: the Clerk reported that someone has phoned complaining that piles of decaying grass are being left next to his Parent’s Grave and that they have had cause to complain about this on a number of occasions in the past. He said that he would like a sign put behind his Parent’s Grave to say ‘No grass cutting to be put here’. Cllr Malyon said she has also received a complaint about grass being left on headstones and has noticed that grass piles are being left on Barley Road Play Area. It was proposed by Cllr Shuttleworth and seconded by Cllr Stevenson to write to Mr Hooley to remind him that all grass is to be removed from the sites he mows and that grass cutting must be cleaned off headstones. This was agreed. It was also agreed to let the person who had complained know what is happening and to advise that at this stage the parish council do not want to put a sign up. A notice is also to be placed on the Notice Board to state that all Grass Cutting must be removed from the site.
- Cemetery Tap: It was noted that the Cemetery Tap is leaking again and agreed to ask Mr Leeson if he will take a look.
- Crowgutter Wood: it was noted that the handrail on a bridge is loose and needs replacing and also there is a tree down across the path. It was agreed to report to the RSPB .
48/17. QUARTERLY ACCOUNTS REPORT FOR QUARTER ENDED 31/03/17: Each member had received a copy of the report and Cllr Stevenson checked the Bank Reconciliation against the bank Statements. It was agreed to accept the report as a true record.
49/17. ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT: The following accounts were agreed for payment: –
|Lengthsman’s Payment (net)||174.51|
|Clerk’s Salary (net)||630.00|
|Clerk’s Expenses inc. Ink Cartridges||78.19|
|To reimburse Clerk for purchase of 2 x half barrels to replace broken ones (summer Planting) (still need 2 more)||71.98|
|Mrs L Malyon to reimburse from Chairman’s Allowance for cards and gifts for 1 x 90th Birthday and 1 x Diamond Anniversary||62.33|
|SMDC for hire of Bin for Cemetery||559.99|
|Staffs Farm Supplies Ltd – mowing Equipment Servicing||133.18|
|Ipstones Memorial Hall – Hire of Hall for Doctors Branch Surgeries||650.00|
|Ipstones Memorial Hall – Hire of Hall for meetings x 3||48.75|
|Zurich Municipal – Annual Premium||1068.53|
|Staffs Parish Councils’ Association||352.00|
|Community Council of Staffordshire||25.00|
The date of the next meeting which will be the AGM was set for Wednesday 24 May 2017
at 7.30p.m. in the rear extension of the Ipstones Memorial Hall
The final item was deemed to be treated as CONFIDENTIAL